FORUMS: list search recent posts

Title Safe for today's delivery

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher McDonell
Title Safe for today's delivery
on Sep 21, 2017 at 3:57:16 pm

Hey, reading one of the threads below had me thinking about this. Now that most people are watching film and video on TV's or devices that show 100% of the picture, is there really a need to keep titles within the Title Safe 80% boundary? Every once in a while I'll see a film with titles pushed right to the edge... so wondering what the thoughts are on this...

My specs: FCP 6.0.6, El Capitan, rMBP 15" i7 2.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Title Safe for today's delivery
on Sep 21, 2017 at 5:45:07 pm

Televisions...even current ones...do not show 100% of the image. They still have edges that go over the TV panel to hold it in place. And this isn't a consistent amount either, different TVs still have different amount of the edge covered.

to test this, export a Quicktime file and play it back on your TV. Compare it with what you see on your computer playing the QT file directly...note how much is still covered.

Computer playback does show 100%...so if you ONLY play back on computer, I can see not using those old guides. BUT... always deliver to the specs required by the client. If they require TV and TITLE safe...gotta deliver it, no arguments.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
Re: Title Safe for today's delivery
on Oct 2, 2017 at 1:03:01 pm

The question is : are you talking about titles or subtitles/captions.

While a "Title" easily can be extended to a 90% region, subtitle region finally shrinks:
BBC recommendation is 68%. This is understandable since "eye focus regions" didn't change only cause of (U)HD was introduced.
Finally the safe region are self-defining for subtitles cause of the characters per line which are readable in a convenient time.

- Andreas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]