FCP 7 Voice Over Question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shelby Langley
FCP 7 Voice Over Question
on Sep 20, 2017 at 6:52:49 pm
Last Edited By Shelby Langley on Sep 20, 2017 at 6:53:18 pm

Hi-

I've been recording files with FCP 7 Voice Over for many years. Recently, I started using some of those files in a new project in Premiere Pro CC 2015. I noticed the levels were hotter than I remember recording them. So I went back to FCP 7 and did some troubleshooting. What I noticed was the audio file (single track) measured about -6 db lower in the master audio than the single channel meter. I'm wondering why a one track stereo file is getting 2 different reads on the master and single channel. I trusted the master for a long time and I believe I have hotter audio than I would have wanted (but no distortion). Which do I trust? And why is this happening? When I'm in Premiere Pro CC the master and single channel are the same reading on the track (which is how it should be). I'm still recording using V.O Tool in FCP7 because of that computers quiet location in my home (the Premiere Pro is on a newer computer but more noisy location). I want to keep using VO Tool but I would like to understand this issue before I record any new files so I can set the levels correct.

Thanks,

Shelby

Shelby

Shelby

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCP 7 Voice Over Question
on Sep 21, 2017 at 6:42:14 am

You should trust the track meter. The master can be affected by all sorts of things and doesn't reflect the actual recording levels. The correct way to pan a track is to use equal energy panning. This will maintain correct levels when a mono or stereo file is panned to a master stereo output. This matters for mono compatibility. FCP7, may not use equal energy panning but I'm sure Pr does.

Return to posts index

Shelby Langley
Re: FCP 7 Voice Over Question
on Sep 21, 2017 at 9:28:56 pm

Thanks, Michael!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]