FORUMS: list search recent posts

Log and Transfer ERROR Message in FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Leko
Log and Transfer ERROR Message in FCP7
on Aug 7, 2017 at 3:18:17 pm

Hi everyone, I'm editing a 4K music video that was shot on the Canon 1D @ 50fps for slow motion, in Final Cut Pro 7 (FCP7).

I've used MPEG Streamclip to convert to ProRes 4444 4K as well as a 1080 Proxy version for my offline edit (all maintaining the frame rate of 50fps).

I then used Cinema Tools to conform the 50fps to 25fps.

When i then wanted to use the Log and Transfer tool to import my footage, it gives me the following error:

"XXXXXX" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.

Any ideas as to why i'm receiving this error message?

Any solutions?

Many thanks!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Log and Transfer ERROR Message in FCP7
on Aug 7, 2017 at 6:24:33 pm

Log and Transfer is used when you want to import from the actual card. It'll convert the footage after linking. But you already converted...that's done. Just drag and drop into the project, or simply import...log and transfer is not needed at this point.

Then you say this...

[Richard Leko] " I'm editing a 4K music video that was shot on the Canon 1D @ 50fps for slow motion,"

Followed by this....

[Richard Leko] "I've used MPEG Streamclip to convert to ProRes 4444 4K "

Converting the 8-bit H.264 format the Canon 1D shoots to ProRes 4444 is a major waste of space. You'll get the exact same quality at ProRes 422. You don't gain any quality converting to 4444...all you gain is file size. The compression already happened...the damage done...compressing to H.264...that's 8-bit MPEG 4. Going to 4444 won't add quality back. Also...4K? That camera doesn't shoot 4K...why convert to 4K?

[Richard Leko] "as well as a 1080 Proxy version for my offline edit (all maintaining the frame rate of 50fps)."

OK...TEST THIS before you go further. What proxy format did you convert to? ProRes Proxy? And you cinema tooled those too, right? OK...edit a small thing with those files, like 5-6 clips, and then take those offline and try to relink to the larger files and see if FCP will. Gotta test this out. MPEG STREAMCLIP isn't the best converter, as it doesn't keep some metadata, so linking like this MIGHT be problematic.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 8, 2017 at 12:42:30 am

If you shot 50fps to get slo mo then conforming to 25 is OK. The big question with workflow is are you going back to the camera originals to conform 4k? If so what software is doing the 4k version.

Honestly I can see no reason to use FCP7 for this when Resolve14 is free and can run with the 4k@ 50 or can also change the clips to run at 25 if you want slo mo.

Not sure if the 1D has any timecode info but basically MPEG Streamclip loses all time data. Also what Shane said about ProRes4444. Test the workflow. Never assume.

Return to posts index

Richard Leko
on Aug 8, 2017 at 2:01:59 am

Hi Shane & Michael, thank you very much for replies.

First off, i didn't know that ProRes 422 would suffice for the footage from the 1D. I understand that it isn't FULL 4K, but rather a more compressed version of it, but, still is 4K resolution.

Secondly, I did choose a few edited clips from my timeline and converted the ProRes4444 clips to 25fps and replaced them with the original proxy clips.

I had to reduce each of the image clips by 50% so that the full image was shown (was zoomed in otherwise), as well as render, but it all worked out and played back fine in my timeline.

I'm actually quite impressed, as I thought that i wouldn't be able to have a work around in FCP7 to work with this 4K footage.

So far so good.

Return to posts index

Richard Leko
on Aug 8, 2017 at 2:04:30 am

Oh, i forgot to mention.

I was told that i needed to use the "Log and Transfer" tool, in order to have this work (offline / online) when using 4K footage.

I did read though (as well) that as long as the file names are exactly the same, there shouldn't be any issues reconnecting the offline edit / proxy footage, to the online edit / 4K footage.

All the clips from MPEG Streamclip maintained their name, and when i did reconnect the media, it all worked no problem (after rendering).

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 8, 2017 at 2:33:24 am

[Richard Leko] "I was told that i needed to use the "Log and Transfer" tool, in order to have this work (offline / online) when using 4K footage."

That would be true if you linked to the camera originals, and converted that way. You didn't...and in fact, you can't. Because FCP 7 is 6+ years discontinued, and the camera is much newer...it wouldn't be able to communicate so you wouldn't be able to use Log and Transfer. If you must do the offline/online workflow with such an old editing app, you'll need to do what you did...make high res masters, and then low res proxies of them. but MPEG STREAMCLIP is the wrong app for that, as it strips all linking metadata. best to use Resolve for this...or use a newer editing app, like Premiere Pro, FCX...or even try Resolve.

[Richard Leko] "I did read though (as well) that as long as the file names are exactly the same, there shouldn't be any issues reconnecting the offline edit / proxy footage, to the online edit / 4K footage."

FCP needs three things in order to link...clip name, timecode, and reel number. If you have two of the same name, but different timecodes, FCP might try to link to the wrong clip, and then report issues with the timecode duration not matching.

[Richard Leko] "All the clips from MPEG Streamclip maintained their name, and when i did reconnect the media, it all worked no problem (after rendering)."

Well, if you tested and it worked, OK. But be warned, it's not the best solution. But ProRes 4444 files are pretty damn big. If you already converted all the footage, might as well just work with that. But know in the future its overkill...even if the H.264 is 4K, it's still 8 bit and compressed...and 4444 gains you nothing

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Richard Leko
on Aug 8, 2017 at 2:53:38 am

Hey Shane, thank you again for all of your notes. They are duly noted and very much appreciated. Thank you.

I'm not at the 4K / online stage yet, so I could still make ProRes422 versions from my raw files.

I have not used the Resolve yet, due to the fact that my Mac Pro is still (and will always be) on the most solid and problem free operating system Apple ever put out - Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

My macbook Pro is running 10.8.3, but am not sure if Resolve would work on that, even if just to convert the files.

Again, i REALLY do appreciate your insight and help. Thank you so much.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 8, 2017 at 5:31:20 pm

How do you plan on onlining the project? In FCP or other? Knowing this is key...you need to make sure converted files you make can relink to the masters when done.

And no, the version of Resolve that is out now, 12.5, won't work on that older OS. But if you are going to start dealing with newer camera formats and 4K, you are going to start needing to look beyond FCP 7.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Richard Leko
on Aug 8, 2017 at 7:13:46 pm

Hi Shane, yes I realize that i'll have to partition a drive, and install a newer OS in order to start dealing with other newer cameras & formats, but all in due time. I've never been a fan of FCPX, as it's still a suped up version of iMovie. I"m not that familiar with Premiere.

If Resolve is becoming the new "to go" cutting / colouring all in one program, then i may migrate to that eventually.

I will be cutting the offline on FCP7, and since the relinking is working, i'll do the online as well.

I'll then export the edit to someone else to do the colouring.

Return to posts index

Richard Leko
on Aug 10, 2017 at 7:21:57 pm

Hey Shane, i was able to install Resolve 9 Lite on my MBP that is running 10.8.3.

Since i'm not to far into the edit, i have no problems in re-converting the "raw" files using Resolve.

Do you know if 9 Lite will suffice for doing the conversions and maintain the meta data that MPEG Streamclip would lose?

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]