FORUMS: list search recent posts

Import and render on MP4's in FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce Taylor
Import and render on MP4's in FCP7
on Aug 3, 2017 at 12:07:14 pm

Hello everyone,

A new client has been emailing me MP4's to work with, about 14 per project. When I bring them into FCP7 and place in a timeline it takes an ungodly amount of time to render. After render, any change at all requirs another long render. I'm thinking I should be converting, or compressing them to another format before importing them and I've tried a couple but what do you think would be the best, and fastest, without sacrificing to much in the way of quality?

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
Re: Import and render on MP4's in FCP7
on Aug 3, 2017 at 1:59:46 pm

Convert all of the Mp4 the clips to ProRes and your issues should go away. FCP does not work well with compressed clips. like Mp4 or H264.

Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Import and render on MP4's in FCP7
on Aug 3, 2017 at 3:20:21 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Aug 4, 2017 at 1:38:46 pm

ProRes 422. It is FCP's go-to codec. FCP MUST use ProRes if it is to function well. If you insist on editing in software that has been essentially dead for almost seven years -- count 'em, almost 7, a virtual lifetime in software -- you must use ProRes 422 as well.

Also -- if you run FCP 7 on an OS newer than 10.8.6, you can expect odd software malfunctions. The oddities build as the OS gets newer, too.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]