FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mpeg Streamclip to Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander Kohler
Mpeg Streamclip to Final Cut Pro
on Jul 26, 2017 at 3:29:52 pm

Hello everyone

I have a question I have filmed GoPro Hero 3 1920 x 1080p footage and iPhone 7 4k footage of my holiday in Thailand. I ran a batch list on Mpeg Streamclip of my footage to change the codec from H264 to Apple Pro Res 422 HQ so I could edit the clips on Final Cut Pro 7. I deselected the interlaced options because the footage is progressive from both cameras, however when the batch completed I loaded the clips into FCP 7, checked the item properties and the clip's field dominance was upper odd meaning it is interlaced. I noticed the clips were jittering slightly especially with shots in which was running with the camera. I tried it again by selecting 'deinterlace footage' and FCP 7 still reads it as interlaced. I do not know why it is doing this and I have never experienced this problem before, I don't know if it is the software on my Mac ( Mac Serria) and its giving problems with FCP 7 or if it's the cameras I am using because when I did film school projects with Sony Camera and Arri Alexia cameras I did not have this problem and I was using Mpeg Streamclip to convert the clips. Does anyone know why it is doing this?

The only solution I have found is to use Compressor 2 and convert all the footage to Apple Pro Res 422 HQ and set the field dominance to progressive. I loaded one clip into FCP 7 to test it and the field dominance was none meaning it is progressive footage. Any advice would be appreciated on why Mpeg Streamclip does this thank you.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Mpeg Streamclip to Final Cut Pro
on Jul 27, 2017 at 2:58:51 pm

I'd start by looking at details about the clips in the bin. Find the column with the incorrectly-named Field Dominance. If it doesn't say "none" for the clips, change it to none and check them out in an edit timeline.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]