FORUMS: list search recent posts

final cut 7 on mac OS 10.12 Sierra.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rossella Emanuele
final cut 7 on mac OS 10.12 Sierra.
on Jul 24, 2017 at 12:20:17 pm

Hi,
I have a retina mac book pro and have been running Yosemite 10.10.5 for years because I edit using final cut 7. I am now having problems with many softwares including safari because i have not upgraded my operating system; I have been advised by apple to upgrade to resolve these problems, though I have researched that final cut 7 does not work on OS 10.12 Sierra. Don't what to do? Any advice/solution please...
Many thanks
Rossella

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: final cut 7 on mac OS 10.12 Sierra.
on Jul 24, 2017 at 5:45:21 pm

There isn't much you can do. FCP7 has essentially been dead for almost 7 years.

If you insist on using FCP7, use your current computer as a legacy FCP7-only machine. Get another machine for other purposes.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Jul 24, 2017 at 5:47:51 pm

Add a second hard drive or partition the drive and use a dual boot system. Older OS for FCP 7 and newer OS for everything else.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: info@babyboompictures.com

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 24, 2017 at 6:43:32 pm

What Warren said...I do this as I still find myself working on projects that originated in FCP 7. Just yesterday, in fact...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rossella Emanuele
on Jul 24, 2017 at 7:33:54 pm

Partitioning the hard drive seems my best option, many thanks

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Jul 25, 2017 at 3:28:03 am

Larry Jordan has also advised keeping "legacy" computers to run software that is perfectly lively but which the publisher has tried to kill. Are there advantages to partitioned hard drives over separate computers? Seven years is an eyeblink in human lives.

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Michael Brown
on Jul 27, 2017 at 12:35:10 pm

Hi Rossella, I too have stayed on Yosemite precisely for that reason. I never tried FCP 7 on Sierra, because the forums usually claimed it not run "dependably". Since I don't have your software issues, I don't need to upgrade my OS, but thanks for the post, so I'll know for future reference.

Michael from Hamburg.

Michael Brown

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Aug 19, 2017 at 6:08:06 pm

While I long ago went with FCPX, I am trying to help a friend with a FCP7 legacy project. I still have FCP7 version 7.03 on my main hard drive. I am running Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 on a mid 11 27" mac. I dug out an old 7 project and after relinking, it seems to be up and running. I can play the sequences, view the browser, etc. Is there clarity on what will and won't work in this configuration?

Thanks
Claude Lyneis

Return to posts index

Marten Berkman
on Feb 17, 2018 at 4:38:44 am

Hi Claude,

you were able to open FCP7 on Sierra? Thats amazing. I have a legacy machine on 10.7.5 that works great, but another machine was just upgraded to high sierra and FCP7 will not open on that. So I am arranging a downgrade, and curious what would be the highest operable version that I can downgrade to. If you can say how well your FCP7 works on Sierra, that would be very helpful.

thanks,

marten

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Feb 19, 2018 at 4:10:19 am

I had understood that the highest OS that would run FCP7 was 10.8.5 Mountain Lion. I'm keeping a machine in that OS to run FCP7 and Premiere CC 2013, which are fine for my editing needs.
Best,
Robert

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

Marten Berkman
on Feb 19, 2018 at 5:17:41 am

Good to know, thanks Robert!

Return to posts index

Michael Brown
on Feb 19, 2018 at 4:12:10 pm

Robert,

I can almost guarantee you that you can run 7 on Yosemite just fine. I do so on a 2015 27" iMac with no glitches I can think of, even with multi-screen editing up to 9 sources (albeit in that case I break my video files down to ProRes Proxy for smooth playback). But I haven't tried Sierra on it and I'm not about to. If need by, I'll partition as well.

Thanks to all for the useful thread!

Michael Brown

Return to posts index

Dan McGuire
on May 10, 2018 at 6:32:11 pm

Michael Brown - is that still the case? I need to buy a new mac but it needs to run fcp7, (perhaps on a partitioned drive) Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 10, 2018 at 6:59:47 pm

Dan, if you get a NEW Mac, it will ship with High Sierra. FCP 7, now officially, is unsupported and will not install on that version. And, if the computer was made when High Sierra was released, it can ONLY run that operating system, not any previous one.

If you need to use FCP 7, it's best to keep an older computer with more compatible OS to do so.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Dan McGuire
on May 10, 2018 at 8:22:12 pm

So I need to buy a computer made before september 2017, I think.
(https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/12/16277554/apple-mac-os-high-sierra-release-date-download-announced)

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on May 11, 2018 at 5:38:22 pm

If you buy a new computer with HS already installed you can't go back.

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 11, 2018 at 5:59:00 pm

[Robert Withers] "If you buy a new computer with HS already installed you can't go back."

If that computer was built BEFORE HS came out...say when SIERRA was the OS in the wild, yes you can.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]