GoPro file unknown

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paolo Drusi
GoPro file unknown
on Jul 23, 2017 at 10:52:36 pm

Hello,

File Error: Unknown File

This message appears when I try to add a GoPro file into FinalCutPro 7. I've tried exporting the file in different formats and codecs but I always get the same error message. Any thoughts why this is happening?

I'm aware I've posted very few details here, but before doing that, is there anything obvious I'm missing?

Thanks a lot
p

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: GoPro file unknown
on Jul 24, 2017 at 1:56:43 pm

What happens if you import the clip into a different application?
Preferably it would be an application that has NOT been essentially dead for almost seven years , which is long before GoPro footage even existed.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 24, 2017 at 6:42:47 pm

Sorry Dave, GoPro cameras have been around a lot longer than you think. They were in heavy use when FCP 7 was still being made and updated.

No, the problem is that FCP 7 doesn't always like the H.264 codec...which is what the GoPro uses. You need to convert that to ProRes and then import into FCP 7. Use Compressor for this, or media encoder or EditReady...any number of converters. But convert to ProRes 422 or ProRes LT before you bring it into FCP 7

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Paolo Drusi
on Jul 25, 2017 at 11:59:17 am

Thank you Shane,

that's exactly what I've done but the puzzling thing is that if I do a test clip from a 10" segment of the GoPro footage and export it as ProRes it can be imported and used in FC no problem. When I then export the whole file with exactly the same settings, I get the error message. This is why I'm stuck.

Any clues why this might happening?

Thank
P

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 25, 2017 at 6:17:06 pm

What are you using to convert? What's the frame rate of the GoPro footage? Frame size? I know GoPro can shoot odd frame rates and sizes.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]