FORUMS: list search recent posts

Parallels on Sierra to install older OS for FCP 7 on MBP?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jane Lurie
Parallels on Sierra to install older OS for FCP 7 on MBP?
on Jul 5, 2017 at 12:51:12 am

I have upgraded to Sierra on my MBP. But I still want to use FCP 7. Would Parallels work to install Snow Leopard and then open FCP 7 in that OS? Thanks, Jane

Jane

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Parallels on Sierra to install older OS for FCP 7 on MBP?
on Jul 5, 2017 at 5:14:20 pm

Isn't Parallels for installing WINDOWS on a partition of the hard drive? Why not just partition your main hard drive, and install the older OS on that? NO need for Parallels.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 8, 2017 at 3:04:12 pm

[Jane Lurie] "Would Parallels work to install Snow Leopard and then open FCP 7 in that OS? "
According to this Apple Communities article it should work: How to Install FC7 in Mavericks...No longer support PowerPC error

If you want to try using a virtual machine, you don't need to buy Parallels. You can use the free VirtualBox which I use every day on my MacBook Pro. It supports OS X from Snow Leopard forward.

Of course following Shane's advice and creating a second partition for Snow Leopard is what I did to maintain compatibility with a old copy of FCP Studio that I still use for DVD Studio Pro (which has quirks on newer OS versions).

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Mickey Power
on Oct 17, 2017 at 12:50:52 am

Hi John

A tecchie friend of mine mentioned virtualising my mac so I can keep my system updated for Resolve/Premiere etc but still access and run older apps like FCP7 in Mountain Lion. I love the idea of not having to reboot.

Are there (m)any issues with running Virtualbox? (It'd be on my Mac Pro 5,1 12 core 3.36 with a new installed Nvidia 980Ti graphics card.)

Thanks
Michael

Mickey

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 17, 2017 at 1:31:39 am

You don't need to run ANY virtual software. Just partition your drive, or install another system drive and install the older system on that. nothing else is needed.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Mickey Power
on Oct 17, 2017 at 11:15:23 pm

Hi Shane

I have OS 10.8.5 Mountain Lion installed in my Mac Pro 5.1 on a separate drive to my 'newer' system OS 10.11.06 El Capitan. Are you saying I should be able to open any of the apps in Mountain Lion without changing the start up drive and rebooting? I've just tried opening FCP7 from ML and that's fine but it opens anyway in El Capitan. There are other older apps like Motion 4 that have a cross through them and will not open.

By all means point me to a how-to-set-up older system side-by-side with newer system so I can update to Sierra and High Sierra but also easily have FCP7 open.

Thanks

Mickey

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 17, 2017 at 11:28:22 pm

No...you reboot so you can run the older software. Do you have an issue with rebooting? Why do you need to have High Sierra running and FCP 7 at the same time? Just boot to ML and launch FCP 7

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Mickey Power
on Oct 18, 2017 at 12:51:34 am

Earlier I thought you were suggesting rebooting wasn't necessary.

I'd like to avoid rebooting if possible. I usually have word, preview, email etc open at the same time as doing editing. I'll install and test Virtual Box.

Thanks

Mickey

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Oct 20, 2017 at 4:38:25 am

[Mickey Power] "Are there (m)any issues with running Virtualbox? (It'd be on my Mac Pro 5,1 12 core 3.36 with a new installed Nvidia 980Ti graphics card.)"
I don't know how well GPU emulation will work. I haven't tried running OS X in VirtualBox myself. I know that it's supported because I use VirtualBox every day to run Linux on my Mac and I see that it allows me to make an OS X image but in my experience with virtual machines, GPU's aren't always supported. I recommended VirtualBox because it's free and would only cost you some time to try. I also use VMware Fusion although I use that to run Windows on my Mac. I've never used Parallels Desktop.

~jr

Return to posts index

Warren Heaton
on Dec 11, 2018 at 8:16:33 pm

The idea of being able to jump to DVD Studio Pro for the two to three times I need it per year without having to restart appealed to me, so I decided to upgrade my Parallels Desktop (I used to use it for Windows about a decade ago) and given it a go.

Creating macOS Lion 10.7.5 virtual machine is pretty quick and straightforward. Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan and Sierra all stalled at one point or another (I have a Sierra virtual machine that's stuck halfway through startup - even though that's the macOS I'm least interested in running with a virtual machine).

I have the Final Cut Studio installer DVDs as disk images and they all mount as expected, but the installer only gets as far as checking for the graphics support and the you have to quit it.

I did a clean install of Lion and FCP Studio on an external FireWire drive connected to my 2009 MacBook Pro and then used Migration Assitant to move the User folder along with FCP Studio over to the virtual machine; however, every application in the suite fails the "Minimum System Checks".

I guess it's no surprise that running a virtual macOS for FCP Studio on a newer iMac running macOS High Sierra is a dead end.

So, as best as I can assess, if you need to run Final Cut classic or any of it's companion applications it's better to put some cash towards an external boot drive than to purchase Parallels Desktop (pretty much what's already been suggested in this thread).

The screen shots below are from the virtual machine.

-Warren

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 12, 2018 at 5:26:32 am

Yea, that is what I expected.

And FCP Legacy is really finicky. I had it running fine on a Snow Leopard boot partition with my ATI Radeon HD 5870 graphics card. No problems. Then I decided to upgrade to the AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition and FCP stopped working! It refused to start claiming that I didn't have a compatible graphics card. I think what actually happened is that Snow Leopard didn't have the right drivers for the newer card.

Luckily DVD Studio Pro continued to work and that's all I really cared about because I use FCP X now. But I didn't think going from the HD 5870 to the HD 7950 on the same OS would cause FCP to stop working but it did. ☹

~jr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]