FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressing a quicktime file

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Flaxton
Compressing a quicktime file
on Jun 26, 2017 at 1:35:54 pm

Hi I have put this post in Compression but I thought it may be best here: I need upload a high quality H264 or Mp4 of a quicktime pro res file that is an FCP Studio Output file. The high quality is about high detail and many dissolves happening. So I have an 11 gig file that I need get to under 5 gig and I simply went into quicktime conversion and output an H264 file which came in at 23 gig!

So I tried various things - direct FCP studio output from timeline - send to compressor etc and if I keep the quality high, I just get big big files (apart from using a compressed file from pro res)

So: what am I doing wrong and what can I do to get a reasonable 5 gig file?

(I haven't tried Squared file or importing into FCPX which I assume would transcode into something it likes)

Would it be worth changing the pro res into something else to start from?

Terry Flaxton

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Compressing a quicktime file
on Jun 26, 2017 at 2:54:20 pm

It depends on how this compressed file is going to be used. Please tell us.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Terry Flaxton
on Jun 26, 2017 at 5:09:36 pm

So this will more than probably be encoded into a flash file (I would guess). The file uploads to sedition art https://www.seditionart.com/search/flaxton So artists make work, encode them to Mp4 or H264.. Which is what I've been doing for some while now. My surprise was that pro res to 264 doubled the file size - my normal experience is smaller files but I do know that pro-res is compressed and has it's own functionalities.

A long term DP - likes 35mm and HD equally - changing with digital media - Began as a commercials editor !

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 28, 2017 at 6:32:16 pm

Use Compressor, and then the QuickTime 7 Web Download for LAN. See what that does.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 29, 2017 at 4:08:12 pm

Other tools I've used include mpeg streamclip and FLV crunch, both free.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 4, 2017 at 3:06:14 pm

[Terry Flaxton] "So: what am I doing wrong and what can I do to get a reasonable 5 gig file?"
There is only one thing that determines file size and that's bitrate. If you want a 5GB file you must first determine how long the video is. Then depending on the length of the video you can do the math to determine the bitrate needed achieve that size. There are many bitrate calculators available on the Internet to help you.

For example: to get 1 hour of AVC/H.264 video into a 5GB file you would use an average bitrate of approximately 8Mbps (8,000 Kbps). Using the "multi-pass" option will produce the highest quality for a given bitrate.

So whatever setting you use in Compressor, adjust the Average Bitrate to get the file size where you need it to be once you determine that with a bitrate calculator.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]