FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I get around "General Error" when exporting a large video file on FCP7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Hunt
How do I get around "General Error" when exporting a large video file on FCP7?
on Jun 21, 2017 at 6:45:53 pm

Hello tech friends,

I have a 3+ hr large video file I'd like to export from Final Cut Pro 7 to a self-contained Quicktime Movie. However, after multiple attempts and much troubleshooting, I am still getting the annoying "General Error - Out of Memory" message before exporting is completed.

The file itself is a homemade cross-country road trip video recap, full of pictures, videos and music. Just a few of the videos/pictures within the timeline are stock files from the internet (the rest are my own) - so that may be the problem (as they might be corrupted). However, isolating those chance corrupt files is like searching for a needle in a haystack - what with 6000+ edits/pictures, etc. on the timeline.

I've tried deleting rendered files - namely 'Constant Frames' out of my scratch folder, without rebooting FCP7. That alone cut the estimated export time from 39+ hours to about 6. However, I still got the "General Error" message. Crap.

Running FCP7 on iMac (2010 model) macOS Sierra, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5 processor, 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 memory

Any and all advice is GREATLY appreciated. This is a 6-month project of mine and it's infuriating why I can't export it successfully. I'm desperate.

THANKS!
Ben

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
Re: How do I get around "General Error" when exporting a large video file on FCP7?
on Jun 21, 2017 at 11:25:45 pm

Some quick thoughts...

Running FCP7 on a Sierra OS machine is iffy at best.
Is your sequence fully rendered before exporting? 39 hours to export is VERY LONG!
If not rendered, delete your old render files before rendering again. Use Render Manager under the Tools tab for this.
(Be careful to only delete old render files)
Did you try saving your project and rebooting your computer to clear it out?
Any very large stills? Are the stills the original files from your camera (can be very large!)
Any non-standard still formats like CMYK, Index, GIF, etc.?
Everything converted to ProRes for editing? See below.
Any compressed footage from consumer cameras or phones like H264 or mp4?
All audio at 48K? No Mp3 files or 32k formats?
Tried trashing Preferences?
Repair Permissions? ...Oops, you're on Sierra, aren't you? Never mind...
4Gb RAM is not much memory for your project. Amazing it even works...especially with a lot of stills.
Are you sure you have enough hard drive space left?
Your media is not on your system drive, right?
Might try breaking the sequence up into a series of smaller segments to isolate a possible corrupt file.
Bad Mojo in your neighborhood?
??????

Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

Return to posts index

Ben Hunt
Re: How do I get around "General Error" when exporting a large video file on FCP7?
on Jun 22, 2017 at 4:12:13 pm

Many thanks for the reply and questions.

To reply to you questions:
Running FCP7 on a Sierra OS machine is iffy at best.
- TRUE. I AM PLANNING ON A NEW COMPUTER LATER THIS YEAR.

Is your sequence fully rendered before exporting? 39 hours to export is VERY LONG!
-YES, FULLY RENDERED

If not rendered, delete your old render files before rendering again. Use Render Manager under the Tools tab for this.
(Be careful to only delete old render files)
- YES, DELETED OLD FILES

Did you try saving your project and rebooting your computer to clear it out?
- TRIED THAT TOO

Any very large stills? Are the stills the original files from your camera (can be very large!)
-YES SOME STOCK PHOTOS ARE VERY LARGE - DID NOT KNOW THAT COULD BE AN ISSUE (ESP. W/ 4K UNTIL RECENTLY!)

Any non-standard still formats like CMYK, Index, GIF, etc.?
-WOULD TAKE A WHILE TO CHECK, BUT I MAY HAVE TO

Everything converted to ProRes for editing? See below.
-YES

Any compressed footage from consumer cameras or phones like H264 or mp4?
-A FEW IPHONE VIDEOS YES

All audio at 48K?
-YES

No Mp3 files or 32k formats?
-NOT SURE

Tried trashing Preferences?
- NO - ANY RISK TO THAT?

Repair Permissions? ...Oops, you're on Sierra, aren't you? Never mind...
4Gb RAM is not much memory for your project. Amazing it even works...especially with a lot of stills.
Are you sure you have enough hard drive space left?
-EXPORTING TO 8TB HARD DRIVE - PLENTY OF SPACE

Your media is not on your system drive, right?
- NO - SAVED TO EXTERNAL DRIVE

Might try breaking the sequence up into a series of smaller segments to isolate a possible corrupt file.
- THAT'S WHAT I'M DOING - TEDIOUS. ABOUT 60% THROUGH WITH THIS, WITH ABOUT 80+ INDIVIDUAL VIDEO FILES - SHOULD BE OVER 100, AND THEN I'LL RE-IMPORT THEM, SPLICE AND DICE, THEN RE-EXPORT. I'VE ALREADY TESTED THIS WITH ABOUT 20 MINS OF THE WHOLE TIMELINE - NO ISSUES - I THINK FCP7 IS JUST OVERLOADED WITH THE COMPLEX AND VARIED MEDIA IN THE CURRENT TIMELINE!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 22, 2017 at 1:49:22 am

This error typically pops up when you have stills that are over 4000 pixels on any side. FCP 7 doesn't do 4K, and larger than 4K will choke it, especially on export. So you need to make sure that all your stills are under 4000 pixels. And that they are not CMYK color space, that too will cause this.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ben Hunt
on Jun 22, 2017 at 4:17:00 pm

That's really interesting - I had no clue. Sadly, i have very little professional training on FCP - I've played with the software since FCP4 - just doing my own projects. Do other editing softwares have similar issues? Premier? Pinnacle? Vegas?
I'm currently exporting individual video clips from the timeline (in chunks varying 30 seconds to 5 mins - basically until I get the general error message), and then I'll re-import, splice and dice back together, and then re-export as smooth video/audio timeline - all one sequence, obviosly.
Thanks for the tips!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 22, 2017 at 4:55:29 pm

[Ben Hunt] " Running FCP7 on a Sierra OS machine is iffy at best.
- TRUE. I AM PLANNING ON A NEW COMPUTER LATER THIS YEAR."

That won't solve anything. It will, in fact, make things worse. FCP 7 was discontinued 6 years ago. The last OS it was fully functional on was 10.6.8. Every OS version that comes out after that makes it less and less compatible. Because Apple dropped FCP 7...doesn't take into consideration it working properly with the new OS. It's fully backing FCX, the latest version of it's software.

[Ben Hunt] "Do other editing softwares have similar issues? Premier? Pinnacle? Vegas?"

Pinnacle and Vegas are PC apps, and I don't know them. Who knows what the most current versions of them are capable of...I'm sure they will work. Premiere doesn't have this issue, never did as far as I know, It has other issues, as all apps do. But not this one. FCX doesn't have this issue. CURRENT versions of software can do this...the issue is that you are trying to work with OLD software. I suggest that you look at getting current edit software moving forward.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Ben Hunt
on Jun 22, 2017 at 5:28:59 pm

Sorry I wasn't clear - I don't intend to use FCP7 on a new machine. I'm currently researching other options for video editing. I know Premier is popular, but also comes with a monthly cost - albeit that means all the upgrades comes with it. What is your vote - what's the best software for the every day user?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 22, 2017 at 6:31:10 pm

[Ben Hunt] " What is your vote - what's the best software for the every day user?"

We are all 'every day" users. I use Avid every day...others use FCX. This all depends on what type of videos you are editing. What are your needs, and what edit software best suits those needs. BTW, I don't think Avid would be a good fit for your needs. FCX or Premiere are good ones. FCX is $300...and that's the end of it. unlimited free upgrades. BUT, it's very different from any edit software you've ever cut with. That being said, many swear by it....and say it's VERY fast. If you can learn it, it's your best bet. Premiere is good, but yeah, the constant need to pay every month. I have it, but don't use it all the time, and paying every month $30 for it sitting idle is pretty bothersome. Yes, it might still end up cheaper than if I shelled out $1200 outright, but it's just an odd thing to have payments going out when you aren't using something. Like paying for Cable when you aren't watching...for a car you aren't driving...

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Ben Hunt
on Jun 22, 2017 at 11:21:39 pm

The monthly fee is honestly a huge turnoff for me, with Premier. I've played with it a couple of time in the past and thought it was ok. I'm just so used to FCP. I learned on Avid years ago - like 2000-2001. I've heard lots of negative things about FCPX - you're actually the first person I've heard give it some praise. Now I'm curious.
My projects are just for myself, really. Varied in length and complexity. I use mostly basic toolsets - transitions, audio mixing, titles, filters, slow motion, etc. I like the "Motion" tab in my Viewer, so I can tweak the images and video on the timeline, down to the frame. Stuff like that.
What are the biggest drawbacks to FCPX? Can it handle 4K? Does it crash all the time like FCP7?
Thanks!
Ben

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 24, 2017 at 12:56:22 pm

Here's a thought -- DaVinci Resolve. It can edit. It's free. You can't avoid the banner ads for it here on the COW. You could try it out.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ben Hunt
on Jun 24, 2017 at 4:02:28 pm

interesting -had not considered that one- thanks!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 24, 2017 at 5:51:32 pm

[Ben Hunt] "I've heard lots of negative things about FCPX - you're actually the first person I've heard give it some praise. "
Allow me to be the second and you can head on over to the Final Cut Pro X forum and read about lots of others who will sing it's praises. Be very weary of what you may have read or heard because FCP X was very minimalist when it first came out and people who rejected it continue to complain about it 6 years later not realizing (or caring) that it's has improved significantly to the point where I believe it's the fastest and easiest to use NLE that's available today. Start reading articles on fcp.co if you want to read about the success stories.
[Ben Hunt] "What are the biggest drawbacks to FCPX?"
It doesn't use Tracks which is also it's biggest asset. You couldn't get me to edit with a track based NLE again if you tried. BUT... you must first unlearn your old track-based workflows. If you give it a chance, the new track-less workflow will speed up your editing considerably. It's all about story-lines not tracks (which IMHO, is what editing should be all about).
[Ben Hunt] "Can it handle 4K?"
Like butter on mere iMac Core i5. It also has a proxy workflow if your Mac can't handle it but I use it on a 2010 Mac Pro 12-Core and have no issues with performance at all.
[Ben Hunt] "Does it crash all the time like FCP7?"
Has been rock solid for me. I've had some crashes with audio plug-ins from IK Multimedia and iZotope. Their stuff works great with Logic Pro X but not so much with FCP X. Other then that it has been a dream work with. I've been editing video for 17 years (14 with a track based NLE) and after 3 years with FCP X I will never go back to a track based editor again.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 29, 2017 at 4:17:57 pm

You can simulate the track-based, FCP-7 style of editing in FCPX, but it's not what FCPX was optimized for. Kind of like using a stapler as a hammer, or a screwdriver as a pry bar: it will work, more or less, but not as well as if you use the tool the way the designers intended. If you really really liked FCP7, are comfortable with that paradigm, and dead learning something radically different, I'm told the NLE most like a mild upgrade of that is the free Blackmagic Resolve.

I'm stumbling my way towards transitioning to FCPX from 7 at home now, since I have both at the office, on two different machines. Just waiting for enough overtime money to cover it, among all my other competing leisure-time needs:-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]