FORUMS: list search recent posts

what format to use for capture in FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Claire Panke
what format to use for capture in FCP 7
on Jun 7, 2017 at 7:11:48 pm

Hoping for some help with knowing WHAT SETTING to use when capturing older SD miniDV footage into FCP 7.
I have three situations I'm trying to solve...

How did I get here? I have been working on a documentary FOREVER and while I've digitized almost all of the footage, I'm going back to some archival/older material and trying to figure out how to bring that in.
We are staying with FCP 7 because quite a few sequences and assemblies had been completed and it started to be a nightmare to switch NLE programs.

Most was shot on a Panasonic DVX100a in progressive mode (some 24p, some 24p adv); we are using a 23.98 timeline and have reversed the 24p footage with Cinema Tools to bring into the 23.98 timeline.

1. I now have a few tapes that were shot with my earlier camera EONS ago - Sony VX1000. I am embarrassed to ask this but I can't figure out what format this is! When reviewing a bit of the footage containing movement it appears ALL interlaced.
No idea what to use as the capture settings.
(I do have an old version of Nattress plugin that brings 60i/interlaced/archival footage into a 23.98 timeline that we can use if needed to bring that footage into the timeline)

2. I have one tape that I thought was shot with the VX1000 but as I toggle through the footage one frame at a time it is showing 2 interlaced to 3 progressive, so I'm thinking I must have been wrong about which camera it was shot it. When you see the 2:3 cadence it must have been shot in 24p right?

3. The daughter of one of my characters shot a bunch of footage on DVcam years ago and we want to use that as archival material. I had dubbed it all onto miniDV (back when that was a good format to use!), and this footage also seems to be all interlaced when looking at movement-containing snippets.

I pray to the Creative Cow gods that someone out there can help me figure out what settings to use when capturing...15 years working on a film is a long time especially in digital technology years!

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer...

Claire M Panke
Producer/Director, Light Years Film

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: what format to use for capture in FCP 7
on Jun 8, 2017 at 5:00:31 am

Well, first off, you are going to be capturing all of it as DV/NTSC via firewire...that's the way to get full quality.

[Claire Panke] "1. I now have a few tapes that were shot with my earlier camera EONS ago - Sony VX1000. I am embarrassed to ask this but I can't figure out what format this is! When reviewing a bit of the footage containing movement it appears ALL interlaced.
No idea what to use as the capture settings. "

It is...it's DV 29.97 interlaced. Progressive didn't really exist in the SD world until Panasonic came along with their DVX100, and initially it was 24p but as 29.97 interlaced..the 24p LOOK, but interlaced. Like what film looks like when telecined to tape. So this footage you'll have to capture 720x480 29.97 interlaced...DV/NTSC. And deinterlace it with the Nattress stuff.

[Claire Panke] "2. I have one tape that I thought was shot with the VX1000 but as I toggle through the footage one frame at a time it is showing 2 interlaced to 3 progressive, so I'm thinking I must have been wrong about which camera it was shot it. When you see the 2:3 cadence it must have been shot in 24p right?"

It could be the fake 24p...where it's 24p but running in a 29.97 interlaced stream, as mentioned before.

[Claire Panke] "3. The daughter of one of my characters shot a bunch of footage on DVcam years ago and we want to use that as archival material. I had dubbed it all onto miniDV (back when that was a good format to use!), and this footage also seems to be all interlaced when looking at movement-containing snippets. "

Most likey was. DV was mainly an interlaced format. SD generally was...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Claire Panke
on Jun 8, 2017 at 7:51:10 pm

Thank you Shane!

I'm still not sure about the one that appears 3:2 (progressive to interlaced) -- or the consequences of bringing it in using the wrong format...i assume stuttering/weird motion would occur.
That particular tape is different than the other material that is clearly ALL interlaced (visible on a segment with motion when toggling frame by frame)...I'll have to try it and see.

Thank you again!
Claire

Return to posts index

Claire Panke
on Jun 14, 2017 at 8:11:54 pm

Shane - (or anyone else!)
...replying to my earlier post....

is there a definitive way to tell if something was shot 60i or 30p (29.97)?

(bringing into FCP...sorry I am still stymied trying to know what input settings to use for FCP 7)

Is there a way that something shot on DVCam in 2004 would be 30p or was that too early? I dubbed all those tapes from dvcam to my then-current minidv format, but no I am worried if I bring all those minidv tapes in as DV-NTSC 29.97 and it was shot in 60i, I will screw up what it looks like, especially since I will need to use the Nattress standards converter to bring it into our 23.98 timeline.

There is info out there about the difference between 60i and 29.97 / 30p both of which are interlaced, but trying to determine which a tape was shot in? Not so easy to figure out.

I'm flummoxed, and so far behind the times it's almost impossible for me to figure this out...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 14, 2017 at 9:27:30 pm

[Claire Panke] "is there a definitive way to tell if something was shot 60i or 30p (29.97)?"

Look to see if it plays smooth like a news cast or sports telecast or soap opera. Also, if you play back in QT on your computer, you'll see interlaced lines. VERY few cameras shot 30p...most DV was 60i.

[Claire Panke] "Is there a way that something shot on DVCam in 2004 would be 30p or was that too early?"

Not too early. I think some cameras MIMICKED the look...some good, some bad. Some would shoot 15fps...repeating every frame (Sony...such garbage, had to deal with that on a Scott Baio pilot). Not sure which actually implimented 30p, it's an odd format...I know that Panasonic did the 24p in 60i look with the DVX100a in 2002. Mainly this is done by eye, but also done on an external monitor...while paused, do you see both fields stutter on some shots?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Claire Panke
on Jun 14, 2017 at 10:54:30 pm
Last Edited By Claire Panke on Jun 14, 2017 at 10:55:40 pm

Thank you again Shane -
I was going a little nuts looking for an interlaced setting to use for importing, but now I realize I have to just import as DV-NTSC and then know which standards converter (60i to 24p) to use from the Nattress package I purchased years ago.

I also figured out years ago how to tell if something was shot in 24p or 24p-adv by going frame by frame to see either the 3:2 or 4:1 progressive-to-interlaced ratios (was surprisingly hard to find that information on the internet)...so I did that while looking at the current footage in question.

"Mainly this is done by eye, but also done on an external monitor...while paused, do you see both fields stutter on some shots?"
I don't have an external monitor set up where I am at home, unfortunately. When I toggle through the footage pre-capture, I see on any movement shots that it is ALL interlaced, every frame (no stuttering seen), so I can only assume it was shot at 60i and will convert accordingly.

Thanks again for all your help. Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 14, 2017 at 11:04:19 pm

30p will also have movement in every frame. BUT, if you look at 60i footage in QuickTime, you'll see the interlaced line artifacts...so that's another way to tell

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]