FORUMS: list search recent posts

Want to buy an older model Mac Book Pro to dedicate to FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jane Lurie
Want to buy an older model Mac Book Pro to dedicate to FCP 7
on Jun 7, 2017 at 4:26:24 am

I am looking to buy the last model of MBP where FCP 7 worked smoothly. Would that be the 2015 or the 2013 models? Or? Thank you.

Jane

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Want to buy an older model Mac Book Pro to dedicate to FCP 7
on Jun 7, 2017 at 3:21:41 pm

That would be a laptop with OS 10.8.6 installed, the last OS certified to work with FCP 7.

Now, you DO realize that it won't be able to work with a lot of newer kinds of footage, correct?
No 8K for you! Hell, no 5K, either! Moreover, codecs invented within the last five years will be useless.

There's a price to be paid for relying on software that's been essentially dead for the last half-decade.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 7, 2017 at 5:59:17 pm

Dave, slightly dislexic. Last fully supported OS was 10.6.8. But it did OK under 10.7, and 10.8. SO you need a laptop that can run those OS versions at least. Need to make sure they can run it, if a computer was released at a time that 10.7 came out, you wouldn't be able to install 10.6.8 on it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jane Lurie
on Jun 7, 2017 at 7:08:43 pm

Yes I know. I am retired and I really prefer FCP 7 to X. I have no problem staying in the world of Snow Leopard. I will basically take the computer offline. Actually a friend pointed out that I have an old 17" MBP that was a workhorse with FCP 7. So I am going to wipe and then re-install Snow Leopard and upgrade it to 10.6.8 and and FCP 7 and then take it offline and see how it does.

Jane

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 8, 2017 at 2:10:40 pm

Can't blame you for preferring FCP 7 over FCPX! If you can get along with legacy software on a legacy machine, more power to you.

I have a friend who's doing the same. He got sick of constantly updating and upgrading and finally said, "That's it. I'm sticking with what I have."

Heck, I have a legacy machine at home, too. It's just fine for my volunteer gigs. At work, things stay up-to-date.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]