FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why has 25fps exported as 23.81?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christie Allanson
Why has 25fps exported as 23.81?
on May 18, 2017 at 11:43:15 am

Hello,

I've been editing in FCP 7. The footage was shot in 25fps. The editing base of my timeline is 25 and editing as pro res 422.
Exported to Quicktime - the film looks and plays fine, but is for some reason is suddenly 23.81fps. Can anyone tell me how this has happened please?
I'm trying to get a DCP made asap and this is slowing us down - I need a high res export but not at this frame rate!

Thank you for any advice.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Why has 25fps exported as 23.81?
on May 18, 2017 at 2:32:08 pm

The Quicktime player is NOT accurate when reporting frame rates. If you re-import the file into FCP, I bet you see the frame rate you expect.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Christie Allanson
on May 18, 2017 at 7:11:29 pm

Thank you for getting back to me.
However, I think unfortunately it really is 23.81fps, not only because quicktime says so, but because the professionals at the edit house making my DCP told me so. I've just tried putting it back in FCP and it warned me that it was not optimised!
Any idea what's going on?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 18, 2017 at 9:57:48 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on May 20, 2017 at 7:14:48 pm

Instead of doing an export using quicktime, just do an export. The timeline is in Prores 422, correct? The resulting file will be, too.

This may be one of those instances where running VERY old software on a system with a much newer OS just isn't working.

If you're joined at the hip to FCP 7, I recommend that you run it on a Legacy System running OS 10.8.6, the last OS guaranteed to run FCP 7.0.3.

FCP 7 has been essentially DEAD for the past five years. Change happens. You have to accept it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on May 22, 2017 at 1:58:11 am

yeah, the question would be: how did you do your export?
as Dave says you should do a simple export as quicktime movie,
and leave the drop down menu set to the default "Current Settings"

nick

Return to posts index

Richard van Harderwijk
on May 22, 2017 at 11:37:52 am

Zombie software, assumed to be dead, but somehow alive...ish...

If all good advice above doesn't work, and in the export there are no frames missing or repeated/blended or so, perhaps it has gotten the wrong metadata info (23.81 ??? is suggesting that, but how...).

Try to reconform the 23.81file to 25 with the also deadish cinema tools. (Takes 2 seconds, no rerendering in that tool, just rewriting the header info.) Probably you have to export the sound separately, or save it from the 23.81 file and later get them together. Check duration of the 2 video files (23.81; 25) and the sound file. Can be done with quicktime, but also with the free davinci resolve.

Or export an XML and do the final export in resolve. Resolve has FCP7 xml import, but if you have a very complicated timeline...

Good luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]