FORUMS: list search recent posts

This happened to me last night doing a live capture of Stevie Wonder performance, client wants file tonight???

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Curt LaFurney
This happened to me last night doing a live capture of Stevie Wonder performance, client wants file tonight???
on May 11, 2017 at 10:49:51 pm

I was capturing a live performance of Stevie Wonder last night. At the very end of the show my Mac Tower computer froze I had to hard crash and restart the computer. Unfortunately the computer did not finalize the 422 pro rez Qt clip into a .mov, it came up as just av as the extension. he file is 101 GB so the content is there. When I tried to play it back the Qt player told me unsupported or unrecognized. What can I do to make this av into a simple .mov file? Clients are hours away need to convert this Thank you for any assistance.

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
Re: This happened to me last night doing a live capture of Stevie Wonder performance, client wants file tonight???
on May 12, 2017 at 11:52:05 am

Without knowing what method you used for live capture it would suggest you copy the whole file to another disk to preserve what you already have. Then on the copied file change the extension to .mov instead of av then try to open in QT. You can also download the media info app which may give some insight into what your AV file actually is, then work from there.

Return to posts index

Curt LaFurney
Re: This happened to me last night doing a live capture of Stevie Wonder performance, client wants file tonight???
on May 12, 2017 at 7:03:34 pm

Thank you for your response, I've been at this since the beginning of FCP and Apple computers and this is the first time this has happened to me. And yes of course it has to happen on a Stevie Wonder Show.

Tried changing the extension to .mov, didn't help. Capturing on a quad 2.5 tower with a Blackmagic capture card but that really does not matter because the end result occurred because of the freeze and subsequent hard crash that ended in the incomplete file structure. Usually you escape out of live capture and you end up getting a file that has the first frame as a picon and the file will play in the finder or Qt or VLC or whatever but after re-booting from the freeze I didn't get a picon I got this, http://img01.deviantart.net/d1eb/i/2010/061/2/c/flv_icon___quicktime_x_by_m...

We did make a copy of the incomplete file so we can take it to the Apple store and have a genius fix it but it seems like it's something we can do ourselves with a little help from the community.

This image has FLV on it as the extension the one I'm getting says AV as the extension with the same Qt background icon.

Thank you again.

There has to be a way to fix this.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on May 14, 2017 at 7:12:22 am

i doubt you'd get any help from the "genius bar"
it's way outside their area of expertise.

have you tried contacting BlackMagic?
wither directly, or a forum here, perhaps

nick

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on May 14, 2017 at 8:29:47 am

Probably the MOOV atom has not been written yet, so a player is unable to know how to interpret the data.
The only solution I know of is to use FFmpeg, and tell it (before the input) what kind of file to expect.
So your commandline would look like something like this.
ffmpeg -f rawvideo -pix_fmt yuvy422p -i badfile.av -vcodec copy -an output.mov
(This is definitly not right, I would need to see a clip that does work captured with the same settings.)

Next, audio is omitted in this example, as I take it the audio is recorded on another system.

hth,

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on May 14, 2017 at 4:39:22 pm

Bouke, this is very interesting. Curt says he was capturing Apple Prores 422. Could you write a hypothetical command line for that so that we can see what it should look like. You mentioned audio, does this need to be addressed separately even if the audio was recorded by the camera/s. More info would definately be apreciated.

Roger.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on May 15, 2017 at 9:22:45 am

[Roger Poole] " Could you write a hypothetical command line"

Eeh, I did ☺

[Roger Poole] " More info would definately be apreciated."

Yes, that's why I asked for it. If you take a (small, few seconds) sample captured with the same settings into FFmpeg it will tell you what it is, and that helps to construct the command line.

But, without having to get to toy with the actual file, it's all academic...

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

Curt LaFurney
on May 18, 2017 at 12:36:10 am

Thank you for the advice, Our systems guy will give it a try.

Return to posts index

Curt LaFurney
on May 18, 2017 at 12:52:06 am

Actually the audio comes from a stereo feed off the mix from the front of house board. It's all recorded into this Qt file. So the video and audio are recorded simultaneously ending up on the same file.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on May 22, 2017 at 11:39:52 pm

vey curios to hear the upshot of this.
were you able to rescue the contents of the file?

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]