FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVCHD and MXF in FCP 7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Steele
AVCHD and MXF in FCP 7?
on May 3, 2017 at 9:16:27 pm

Hi,

I might be getting a new video camera which only records in AVCHD or MXF.
Can FCP 7 read/edit these formats?

Thanks,

Richard

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: AVCHD and MXF in FCP 7?
on May 3, 2017 at 9:35:54 pm

If it's a newer camera, no. FCP 7 was discontinued 6 years ago...no updates have been made. Meanwhile, the AVCHD format is always updated, and every camera uses a different variant. So FCP won't be able to interface with that camera directly. nor MXF. If you want to continue using FCP 7, you'll need to look at third party converters to convert the footage, like EditReady.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 4, 2017 at 3:54:34 pm

As Shane points out, FCP 7 is ancient.
I sometimes find it useful to think of software in terms of the human life span.

What's a good, long lifetime for a software version? Let's say 2 years. The average human life span is 78 years.

Thus -- counting in human terms -- FCP 7 came out in 1757!

Think about the changes in the human condition since the eighteenth century. Apply that degree of change to software.

Then ask yourself why you're still using FCP 7. If you have good reasons, fine. But don't expect it to behave flawlessly as technology evolves around it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Richard Steele
on May 7, 2017 at 12:54:21 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

My main worry about jumping to FCPX, apart from the whole different interface issue, is whether my FCP6 or 7 projects will run smoothly in 10...

Richard

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 7, 2017 at 4:10:24 pm

You could always get DaVinci Resolve and give it a whirl. Just click on one of the many ads for it on this web site. It's free.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 8, 2017 at 4:35:14 am

[Richard Steele] "whether my FCP6 or 7 projects will run smoothly in 10..."

Well, you need to buy an app to convert the project from FCP 7 to FCX...it's not convertable without that.

But there's always Premiere Pro. Export XML of whole project from FCP 7, import that into Premiere...it all comes in. Whole Project...no outside app needed

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on May 8, 2017 at 10:18:07 pm

For what it's worth, after being with Final Cut Pro since version 1.2, I'm finally moving on and going with Resolve. I just ordered the Studio version and updated all my Boris plugs to OFX. I'll have to start looking for more plugs that will work with Resolve but I'm not worried. I'll still work with FCP7 during the changeover, but sadly, it's days are numbered.
Sorry, but I just don't care for FCPX. I need more professional features than it offers at the moment. And more control . I gave it a good shot. I'll still use Motion 5 and Compressor however, just on the older machine. I feel bad... Kind of like putting the old horse out to pasture. :(

Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]