FORUMS: list search recent posts

matchframe just within timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
raju bhai
matchframe just within timeline
on Apr 29, 2017 at 3:15:53 am

Hi!
it seems everyone just uses matchframe to match a timeline clip frame to the master clip in the browser or source file. I already know how to do this. What I want to find out is how to find out if a section or frame of a clip on my timeline is already used elsewhere on the timeline. So basically I want to matchframe from the timeline back to the timeline itself (and not the browser). How do I do this, anyone know?

Return to posts index

raju bhai
Re: matchframe just within timeline
on Apr 29, 2017 at 3:50:03 am

OK, i'm halfway there. If i select the frame on my timeline and match frame to the source clip, then i can go to that frame on the source clip and press F as a reverse match frame which will move the playhead to the corresponding frame in the timeline.
However, I have the same frame in several locations in the timeline. And when i reverse match frame from the source clip in the browser, while the playhead jumps to the corresponding frame on the timeline, i don't know how to make it locate all the other instances of the same frame on the timeline. And that is the whole point, i'm trying to find where i may be using the same frame more than once on the timeline. If anyone can help, would be great, thanks.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Apr 30, 2017 at 12:17:05 pm

i'll answer your question,
and then i'll tell you how to do which you want.
two different things!

[raju bhai] " when i reverse match frame from the source clip in the browser, while the playhead jumps to the corresponding frame on the timeline, i don't know how to make it locate all the other instances of the same frame on the timeline"

generally match frame looks forward.
so:
F to match into the viewer,
then Q to jump to the canvas,
HOME to jump to the head of the timeline,
Q to jump back to the viewer
F to find the first instance of the clip

(if you know you've matched the first instance into the viewer, you don't have to do this little dance)

then use the left arrow to move forward 1 frame, or the down arrow to move to he next edit,
Q back to the viewer
and F again
should take you to the NEXT instance of the clip

now sometimes this doesn't work , and match frame really does only jump to one specific instance of a clip.
but never mind...

[raju bhai] " i'm trying to find where i may be using the same frame more than once on the timeline"

at the bottom left of your timeline are a group of tiny buttons:
loudspeaker, green & blue lines, keyframe mountains, bar graph, and tiny right-pointing arrow. (those are all descriptive names, and don't really rate yo heir function)

the tiny arrow is the one you need now,
click on it to see a menu, and choose "Show Duplicate Frames"
when this is enabled, any duplicate frames have a coloured line along the bottom of the clip.
you can right click on the coloured line, and it'll tell you where the other instances are, and you can jump to them.

hope thats clear,
nick

Return to posts index

raju bhai
on Apr 30, 2017 at 8:32:32 pm

Hi Nick, thanks! i didn't know about "show duplicate frames" before, but that is exactly what I am looking for!
However, I tried it and it didn't work. I searched on the web and seems other people had same problem of it not working because they are using canon 5d footage and it was transcoded to prores rather than log and captured. When it is log and captured, then a reel name gets created. When it is transcended and imported to FCP instead, then no reel is created for the footage, and therefore somehow FCP dupe detection doesn't function.
My footage is Canon 5d that was transcoded to progress 422.

Did you have this issue as well?

And if so, is there an easy way to give your source clip in the browser a reel name?
I have about 50 clips in my browser, and I don't want to ascribe a reel to each and every one. My issue though should be much simpler and easier. Only 1 or 2 clips in my bowser have duplicate frames in my timeline that I want to locate. So i only need to apply a reel name for those 1 o 2 clips in my browser. Do you know how to do that?

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on May 1, 2017 at 12:12:40 am

helo Raju

Yes, dupe detection need unique reel #s and / or timecode on the clips

if the timecodes all start at 00.00.00.00, then every reel# should be unique
or, you can have one reel#, if the timecodes are all different

if two completely different chips have the same reel# and TC, then they will be flagged as duplicates.

[raju bhai] " is there an easy way to give your source clip in the browser a reel name?"

yes, in the browser, find the reel column, and enter a name.
pretty easy ☺

once one had a reel name, you can elect al the clips, right click on the new reel name,
select it from the small menu that pops up, and all the other clips will adopt that name as well.
so IF the clips have unique TC, that will work for you.

[raju bhai] "I have about 50 clips in my browser, and I don't want to ascribe a reel to each and every one"

it wouldn't take too long, but i understand.
here's what i do in these situations:

put all the clips into a new timeline
double click on the first one to open it into the viewer
Command 9 to open item properties
Command C to copy the name
escape to close item properties
Modify Menu > Timecode to open the Modify Timecode window, (actually i;ve given this a shortcut using the keyboard layout window)
in this window the timecode field is selected, but TAB will jump to the reel field
Command V to paste the clip name as the reel name
Enter or return
then DOWN AROW to jump to the next clip (Still in the viewer)

as this is ALL keyboard commands, i have this programmed into a macro in Quickeys, or Keyboard Maestro,
so 50 clips would take a couple of minutes.

[raju bhai] "i only need to apply a reel name for those 1 o 2 clips in my browser."

OK, good idea!

find the clip in the timeline, double click it into the viewer, and give it a reel#
if there are no fields to write in, just click the little check box net to Source TC.

cheers,
nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]