FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 out of memory...can't figure out why.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Weese
FCP7 out of memory...can't figure out why.
on Apr 7, 2017 at 10:22:59 pm

My project keeps saying "out of memory" and won't render at all. The timeline only has 20 seconds of video. There are 4 layers...Video, light leaks, text, and shapes. After singling out each layer, the culprit appeared to be the text. I was able to render every other layer BUT the text. So I cleared a few hundred GB on my hard drive which allowed me to render the entire timeline. This made me think I solved the issue, but I went to make some adjustments later and again I wasn't able to render anything on the timeline...not even the layers that gave me zero issues before. My boot drive has 250gb of free space on a 1tb drive. The drive I edit on is 5tb and has 475gb of free space. I know it's said you should keep 15-20% of your HDD free..but do i really need a whole terabyte of free space just to edit this simple sequence? Or is there another problem I'm not seeing?

I've also tried deleting all the render files, did a disk utility sweep, etc.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP7 out of memory...can't figure out why.
on Apr 7, 2017 at 10:46:40 pm

Do you have any elements in the sequence that are over 4000 pixels in size? Picture files, graphics? You get that error if anything is over 4000 pixels...most often.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Apr 10, 2017 at 4:50:25 am

[Daniel Weese] "do i really need a whole terabyte of free space just to edit this simple sequence? Or is there another problem"

the out of memory warning doesn't refer to hard disk space,
it refers to RAM.

FCP7 can't access a whole lot of RAM, (4 supposedly) so any really large graphics can bring it to it's knees.
The thing is it's not entirely consistent:
I had a really large picture file in my last project, and it struggled, but allowed me to render the parts where i'd used it.
So i though OK, I'm clear.
Then when i went to EXPORT the 40minute timeline, even though i'd rendered it, i got the out of memory warning about half way though ( where the shots were)
However, i was able to export just those sections, and re-import them,

then a couple of weeks later, i COULD export those rendered sections.
go figure.

there are things you can do in FCP to free up RAM.
closing all open sequence, and re-oping the one you need is the main one.
also make sure the video scopes aren't open.

closing the app and re-srating would help to, of course, but make sure you only have the one sequence open.
actually, you can export from the browser, too, so you don't need to have ANY sequences open.

nick

Return to posts index

Samar Salam
on Apr 13, 2017 at 1:25:06 pm

Hi Daniele,

You could try a few steps to rectify this bug. As mentioned already is that the size of image since FCP 7 does not support more that 4000 pixels, so try to down size the image.

The other thing is that try resting the P Ram.
Just before powering your mac, press and hold 4 keys together: Command, Option, P and R and press the power button and continue holding it until the screen flashed thrice and makes a sound. I hope this would be of some help to you.

Best,

Samar

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]