FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fcp 7 Export, QuickTime Shift never ending issue. Dire need of support to this

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samar Salam
Fcp 7 Export, QuickTime Shift never ending issue. Dire need of support to this
on Mar 23, 2017 at 6:35:07 pm

Hello folks,
Has anyone come across an unusual gamma shift, change in color and unwanted brightness when exported from FCP 7. The unusual color change is seen while playing on QuickTime 10.
However when the same file is taken to a different application such as Premiere Pro, the original color comes back.
So this is probably happening only on QuickTime Player 10 (I am using Mavericks OS so I cannot delete the QuickTime Player 10 as it is part of OS)

I was advised to chang my default player to QucikTime 7 and tick check a setting called 'Final Cut Pro compatibility' which when checked ensured that colour and gamma in a QT window were the same as those in an FCP 7 window. But this seems to be of relief only to me. I performed a test by uploading a small file on Vimeo and FIlmFreeway after making QuickTime 7 my default player.

After the fresh upload, I realised that the default QuickTime 10 color setting file is being played online.
I have a quick deadline, can anyone please suggest a solution to this? Or should I color grade the film to match the QuickTime 10 color settings (I know this sounds crazy but I don't seem to understand how to go about it. This is just putting me into deep mess.

Please suggest a solution to this if possible. In dire and urgent need of one.

Thanks and regards,

Samar

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Fcp 7 Export, QuickTime Shift never ending issue. Dire need of support to this
on Mar 23, 2017 at 8:02:29 pm

QT 10 sucks... just don't gauge your color using it and you'll be fine.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Samar Salam
Re: Fcp 7 Export, QuickTime Shift never ending issue. Dire need of support to this
on Mar 23, 2017 at 8:17:43 pm

Thanks for your feedback. But how is that possible? Because when I try uploading the mov apple proRes file on Vimeo, by default the color settings of QT 10 is being initiated and the unwanted color are being uploaded online.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 23, 2017 at 9:36:03 pm

You cannot control what the video looks like on various players...sorry to say. You can just make sure it looks right in a controlled environment...after that...it's in the wild and you can't control what QT10, or Vimeo, or YouTube, or VLC... nor can you control how people have their computer displays color calibrated. Just like I cannot control what it looks like after the networks compress my file...after the various cable companies distribute it...nor can I control how people's TVs are set up.

Go into Best Buy and look at the wall of TVs and they all show the same thing, but look different. This is what I have to deal with.

Sorry, all you can do is make it look good on your end. What happens to it after, how various players play it...you can't control

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Samar Salam
Solved
on Mar 26, 2017 at 9:06:22 am

Thanks Shane. I agree with you, after spending more time with the issue I realised that this issue will remain never ending as it is purely a QuickTime issue. The Vimeo playback appeared the same as QT display because Safari browser uses QuickTime plugins. When the same film was played through Google Chrome browser, the results were fine like the original source file.

Thanks, once again.

Samar

Return to posts index

Samar Salam
on Apr 13, 2017 at 1:31:40 pm

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for sharing this. I did go through and it's quite interesting to see different viewpoints.
i strongly feel that the whole issue is just with the Quick Time codec and no matter where, as long as the QT codec exists, the problem is bound to happen. So it is best to avoid QT for both QT player as well as QT codec based Safari browser for playback.
For instance the VLC player shower more or less original color while used for playback post export.
It is quite unfortunate to see that Apple is contradicting their own work flow software, leading to unnecessary nightmare for some who are unaware of this QT Gamma Shift.

And also, I need another suggestion from you guys here..
I have approx. 70GB Apple ProRes 422 HQ master export of my film from FCP 7. I need to deliver the same film in Apple ProRes 422 LT since I am having to upload this online on DropBox for a film festival. Could anyone please suggest me the right way to convert from ProRes 422 HQ to ProRes 422 LT ?

Should I do it on FCP 7 or is it better to take to HQ exported Master Film on compressor and do it.
My original media rushes files are Apple ProRes 422 HQ....
Please also let me know the work-flow if possible.

Thanks,

Samar

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Apr 7, 2017 at 4:47:53 am

There has been a lot written about this topic. I have my own correction technique but it's late. Check out this https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1153069 to see what others were doing. It's focused on ProRes but I think the issue was more widespread than just with that codec.

My specs: FCP 6.0.6, El Capitan, rMBP 15" i7 2.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Damiano Galassi
on Apr 14, 2017 at 9:42:12 am

Unfortunately the video world is in the ugly phase of switching to a whole color managed pipeline. QuickTime 10 does color correction by using your monitor color profile, and uses an approximated gamma of 1.96 (see https://developer.apple.com/library/content/technotes/tn2257/_index.html for more info). Other apps go YOLO and display whatever they want. The only other player with good color managements I know is mpv.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]