FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using clips of different field dominance

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby Hall
Using clips of different field dominance
on Jul 27, 2016 at 5:02:47 am
Last Edited By Bobby Hall on Jul 27, 2016 at 5:02:56 am

When I edit a project in FCP 7 using files from my DSLR camera, I have to manually change the field order in the browser from Upper (Odd) to None due to FCP not recognizing the correct field dominance.

I also have some .mov files I downloaded from Footagecrate.com and when I import them in the browser it says they're Upper (Odd) or Lower (Even). Should the field dominance of these clips be changed to None or are they actually most likely Upper and Lower? And if they are, should I leave them that way in the browser or change them to None? Is it okay to mix clips of different field dominance in a sequence?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Using clips of different field dominance
on Jul 27, 2016 at 1:06:50 pm

In order to see fields you must have an I/O card displaying a true video signal to a video monitor - if you're working on a laptop or with computer monitors only you'll be guessing about the field order of the stock footage, which could bite you later if you create DVDs or broadcast the project.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 28, 2016 at 3:43:36 pm

Doesn't the stock footage place indicate whether clips are progressive or interlaced?

Without knowing the dimensions of the footage, which almost always determines field order, here's a no-brainer: if it's 720, it's progressive.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Jul 28, 2016 at 10:31:40 pm

Some of the clips are 720x480 .mov files with a pixel aspect of NTSC - CCIR 601, with PNG codec, and they say "Lower (Even)" in the browser.

Other ones are the same except they're 1920x1080.

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Jul 29, 2016 at 7:15:59 am

I forgot to mention that the 1920x1080 clips say "Upper (Odd) in the browser. Lower and Upper both mean interlaced, right? And is it okay to use those clips in my progressive sequence where 99.9% of the footage I'm using is progressive? My project is a video for the web.

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Jul 29, 2016 at 8:04:47 am

I read on another forum that sometimes FCP 7 misinterprets progressive footage as interlaced. And then this person said you shouldn't change the sequence settings to progressive (which I assume is "None") because then half the fields will be discarded. Is this true? I thought if your footage is progressive and FCP misinterprets it as Upper (Odd), then you should change the field dominance to "None", so that both your clips and sequence settings are "None". Can someone explain which one is correct?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 29, 2016 at 5:51:12 pm

I'm pretty sure there's an FCP sequence setting something like "show both fields". Make a 720x480 sequence to show both fields, and one at 1920x1980.

Find a spot with lots of motion on your questionable clips. set an in & out on the motion sections. Add them to the appropriate timelines & look at them. If you see weird lines, they're interlaced, and you'll have to deinterlace them before you edit. If you DONT see the weird lines, they're progressive and you have to change their field order to None in the bins... again, before you edit.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 29, 2016 at 6:19:11 pm

Bobby,

If all if your footage was progressive and was being misinterpreted as interlaced, switching to "None" would fix the issue... But, you have a mixture of progressive and interlaced, so there's no magic bullet one click fx for you in FCP Legacy.

If the majority of your footage is progressive, your seq settings should be set to None, but you'll "most likely" have to deinterlaced the remaining interlaced footage, because FCP Legacy does not deal with field mismatches well at all. FYI, Premiere and all modern NLEs do a much superior job.

FYI, FCP's deinterlace filter also sucks, so you may have to use a third party deinterlacer.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Bobby Hall
on Jul 29, 2016 at 10:57:16 pm

Thanks guys. If some of my clips are 720x480 .mov files with a pixel aspect of NTSC - CCIR 601, does this mean the frame is being stretched horizontally a little bit? I thought 720x480 was only for DVDs (non-square pixels) and a computer reads them as 640x480.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 29, 2016 at 11:41:07 pm

The pixel aspect ratio should be something like 0.9 or 0.91 to result in a 4x3 picture. It would be around 1.66 to make a 16x9 picture.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]