FORUMS: list search recent posts

mov, avi, or mp4 in FCP7 project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
raju bhai
mov, avi, or mp4 in FCP7 project
on Jul 18, 2016 at 6:22:12 am

Hi, I am using FCP 7.
In my music video project i am using primarily apple prores footage. I also have additional footage from a completely different source and i want to know which of these 3 formats would best mix well with my pores footage for editing in FCP 7: mov, avi, or mp4.
I would pick one of these 3 formats, but i don't want to have to convert it to apple prores.
Please let me know which of those 3 formats can best be handled by FCP7 in a project that also has apple prores footage.

thanks

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: mov, avi, or mp4 in FCP7 project
on Jul 18, 2016 at 9:30:30 am

really you do have to convert to ProRes
it's your best option.

what's your objection to it?

Return to posts index

raju bhai
on Jul 18, 2016 at 2:35:41 pm

i have ALOT of additional footage and it is not great quality and i didn't want to waste a lot of hard disk space creating an apple prores version. But if there's no other way around that, then of course i will do it. I thought perhaps at least 1 of these 3 formats would work in fcp7: mov, avi, or mp4
and of course my main footage is of high quality canon 5d and of course that i converted to apple prores

OK, please lemme know
thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 18, 2016 at 7:00:37 pm

[raju bhai] "But if there's no other way around that, then of course i will do it."

There is no other way around it. None of those formats work with FCP, you will have to render them any time you add them to the timeline, sync might drift when trying to edit...and most assuredly you'll have issues exporting. FCP requires FCP media...so you need to go ProRes. If you want to be able to deal with those formats natively, you should be looking at Premiere Pro.

[raju bhai] " thought perhaps at least 1 of these 3 formats would work in fcp7: mov, avi, or mp4"

Only one of those is a format....MP4. The others are containers. AVI is a Windows video container, and MOV is an apple one. MOV can be ProRes, H.264, Sorenson, Animation, HDV, DV, DVCPROHD...any number of "codecs." Same goes with AVI, although that's a VERY old format that is no longer used, so the codecs in that will be much older.

So you need to convert the footage to ProRes, if you want things to work properly.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]