FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting MXF for FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paula Zimmerman
Converting MXF for FCP 7
on Jul 9, 2016 at 8:01:49 pm

Hello,

Yes, I've checked the other posts on this subject, but they don't cover what's happening to me. I have MXF files that I received via the project producer from his second cameraman. This is from a Canon camera, I don't know which one. The file structure appears to be intact, according to the information I've read here, but none of the solutions suggested are getting the files to open in FCP 7.

I've installed Calibrated MXF and it imports the files and displays a screen "Codec not recognized". I do have a very old version of FCP X and I get the codec error there, too. I run OS 10.7.5, until I can buy a new system, so Raylight doesn't work. Log and Transfer won't recognize the main folder. Media Encoder just shows the audio files but no video. Just importing only brings in the audio.

The only place I can view the full files is VLC. I've never had any luck with converting files from VLC, so the only workaround I know is playing the clips out of VLC, capturing the playback with Screenflow, and exporting those files. That's painfully time-consuming and I don't want to wreck the quality, this was a really major event that was covered and all the other footage I've got is amazing. Can anyone offer a better solution, please? TIA

PS. The really strange thing is that I received MXF files for another project from a different client and they opened without a hitch when I just imported them. ???

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Converting MXF for FCP 7
on Jul 9, 2016 at 10:20:45 pm

Well, you need the proper LOG AND TRANSFER plugin from Canon in order to use FCP and L&T to do this. You can get that here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/nw3s/CanonUSA/DownloadContents/English/0200206002...

the other option is EditReady and for that you need a newer OS....at least 10.9.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Paula Zimmerman
on Jul 9, 2016 at 11:36:04 pm

Hi, Shane,

Thanks so much for the quick response. I downloaded and installed the plugin and restarted everything, but FCP L & T still won't work with it. It's saying it has unsupported media or an invalid file structure. I've attached what I have here. I tried dragging in the main folder with the long number sequence. It has an INDEX.MIF file at the end of the list. Am I missing something?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 11, 2016 at 5:04:18 pm

When you use L&T, choose the folder just under 2016.06.22 Michael Velasco. See if that does it. If not, select the first one, the Michael one. With FCP, you can't go digging down into the folders when using L&T.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]