FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing 4K MXF Files in Final Cut Pro 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Christianson
Editing 4K MXF Files in Final Cut Pro 7
on Jul 7, 2016 at 10:23:14 pm

Hello,

I have SONY FS5 4K MXF files that I'm looking to edit in Final Cut Pro 7 (because I refuse to use FCP X). Premiere and Resolve do not work on my computer. What's the best way to edit this footage in 7? Here's what I've been doing (I'm editing on two separate laptops (one with 7 and one with X)...

1. Convert MXF files to ProRes 422 (Proxy) via Adobe Media Encoder
2. Edit newly-encoded, now .mov files in Final Cut Pro 7
3. Export the project as an XML
4. Transfer said XML file to other laptop via external HD
5. Use program called 7toX to import XML to FCP X
6. Step 5 opens up the project in FCP X
7. I then reconnect the ProRes 422 Proxy .mov files

This is where I get stuck. From here, I'm not sure how to get the original 4K MXF files to replace the ProRes Proxy files, so I can export the project in 4K.

I understand this is a complicated read. Thanks for any help you can give.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Editing 4K MXF Files in Final Cut Pro 7
on Jul 7, 2016 at 10:45:40 pm

Don't use media Encoder. That tosses out a lot of the information needed to relink the clips to the master footage. If you have FCX, like it sounds like you have, you can create the proxies there...bring the footage into FCP 7 to edit, then send the XML to FCX via 7toX and see if it'll relink.

Or...

Use Resolve to convert the footage and then do the final conform in Resolve. That's free.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sunderland Green
on Dec 14, 2016 at 9:22:21 am

Following are the requirements to edit 4K with FCP
The following Mac computers are capable of viewing 4K resolution via HDMI from Final Cut Pro X 10.1.
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
MacBook Pro (Retina, Late 2013 and later)
The supported 4K resolutions are as follows. Note that not every 4K monitor will support both of these resolutions, and 4096 x 2160 is only supported via HDMI at 24fps.
4096 x 2160
3840 x 2160

Return to posts index

Sunderland Green
on Feb 27, 2017 at 9:00:27 am

Proxy media exists just to help take pressure off your system while editing. Before you share (export) media, be sure to switch back to Optimized/Original media in the viewer by clicking the View button, and selecting Optimized/Original under the Media heading.

Switching back will ensure that your exported file will be of the highest quality. If you don’t do this, you may notice significant file degradation on the final product, and that’s not what you want. Besides, exporting is easy if you choose an encoding method that takes advantage of Intel’s Quick Sync Video.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]