FORUMS: list search recent posts

Log and Transfer Crash in FCP7 Since El Capitan

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabrielle Zilkha
Log and Transfer Crash in FCP7 Since El Capitan
on Jun 21, 2016 at 12:34:23 am

Hi everyone!

I've scanned the forums for help on this one but can't quite seem to find the right solution.

I'm using FCP7 on the OSX El Capitan. Since this update, Final Cut crashes anytime I set up Log and Transfer. A few details of what I'm trying to do here:

- I am converting AVCHD (.mts files) stored on my Ext. HD into Apple ProRes 422 (so... not transfering from the card or camera directly). This was shot on Panasonic GH3 if this information matters.

- The files are very large (up to 55mins of video per clip)

I have seen advice on deleting user preferences for FCP7 or even to re-install but I'm afraid if I re-install my product key will somehow no longer work because my license only works for one computer and I installed FCP7 ages ago!

Any step-by-step help would be greatly appreciated!!

Filmmaker & Storyteller

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Log and Transfer Crash in FCP7 Since El Capitan
on Jun 21, 2016 at 8:07:00 am

The last OS that fully supported FCP 7 was 10.6.8. El Capitan is 10.10. That's four OS versions after full support. Every OS update after 10.6.8 doesn't take FCP 7 working into account...because Apple discontinued it. So every OS version after 10.6.8 means the possibility of something not working. Compressor 3.5 and Motion and QMaster stop working at 10.9. Just what stops working is unpredictable.

The answer really is, if you need to rely on 7 year old software, then you need to keep an old OS that it works best with. For this reason, my Tower has a boot drive that's 10.6.8. I have newer OS versions as well, but FCP 7 and other software working on 10.6.8. I do have FCP 7 workig on my laptop on 10.9.5...but I won't update it after that because it, and other software i rely on stops working.

You might need to go back to that clone. That's one reason you do it...and it's great that you did. You can try trashing FCP 7 preferences with Preference Manager (digitalrebellion.com)...but if that doesn't work...then you might need to go back.

[Gabrielle Zilkha] "I have seen advice on deleting user preferences for FCP7 or even to re-install but I'm afraid if I re-install my product key will somehow no longer work because my license only works for one computer and I installed FCP7 ages ago!"

Trashing preferences doesn't delete the product key.

Another option is to use a third party converter, like EDITREADY from Divergentmedia.com. It'll convert the footage to ProRes...then just bring that into the project.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Gabrielle Zilkha
on Jun 21, 2016 at 12:47:29 pm

Hi Shane,

Thank you so much for your response and for the link to digital rebellion. As you suspected - trashing the preferences didn't work.

I KNEW I would regret updating but had to do it to use a different software... anyhoo...

Could you direct me to a link or instructions for how to revert to an earlier OS? I have back ups through Time Machine but not sure if that means I will lose all the files created since the last back up before updating to El Capitan.

Tried a third-party converter (Free AVCHD to MOV) and while it worked well, it split lengthy clips in two parts and FCP7 isn't reading the files properly, so I'll have to re-export them somehow with MPEGStreamclip or QT.

Thank you so much. Very appreciated

Filmmaker & Storyteller

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Jun 21, 2016 at 3:46:24 pm

"Tried a third-party converter (Free AVCHD to MOV) and while it worked well, it split lengthy clips in two parts and FCP7 isn't reading the files properly, so I'll have to re-export them somehow with MPEGStreamclip or QT."

It doesn't sound like you need to be using log & transfer at all. Just transcode your files with a third party and import them, as you're referencing above. Why not just buy Apple Compressor. You could test one file, make sure it works, then batch compress the whole bunch. It's only $50 and if time is money, you've already spent much more than that looking for workarounds.

My specs: FCP 6.0.6, El Capitan, rMBP 15" i7 2.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 21, 2016 at 5:46:36 pm

The only way to revert to a previous OS is to back up your entire computer (you did that with Time Machine), reformat the hard drive, and install the OS fresh...and then install the applications from the original installers. There's no way to just go down an OS level.

CHristopher, Compressor won't work with AVCHD files. The best bet is to get EditReady. I have used it and it's predecessor for years and it's rock solid. MUCH better than any of the competition.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Jun 21, 2016 at 7:13:28 pm

"CHristopher, Compressor won't work with AVCHD files. The best bet is to get EditReady. I have used it and it's predecessor for years and it's rock solid. MUCH better than any of the competition."

Ahh. Sorry. Didn't know that.

My specs: FCP 6.0.6, El Capitan, rMBP 15" i7 2.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jun 23, 2016 at 8:45:26 pm

Hi,

In my experience El Capitan is terrible choice for FCP7. In 10.8 and 10.9 it was running still quiet smooth,
with occasional crashes. But in 10.10. it's downhill all the way. Shane is right: Go back to 10.6.8 or at least 10.8 or 10.9.
For converting AVCHD files, Clipwrap is my trusty companion: Fast and does multiple clips at the same time (depending how many Cores you have).

Greetings,

Sascha Engel
KINO KITCHEN Studio
http://www.kinokitchen.co.il
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]