FORUMS: list search recent posts

Videos keep slowing down during playback - FCP 6

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher McDonell
Videos keep slowing down during playback - FCP 6
on Jun 20, 2016 at 10:30:37 pm

This may well be a compatibility issue of FCP 6 and El Capitan finally catching up to me. I haven't had many issues till now but now I can't even play without the video slowing down during the first second before catching up with itself. This occurs in both the browser and timeline and it's making it impossible for me to edit. After the first second things play smoothly.

I've deleted some sequences and brought the file size under 100 MBs. I've restarted the computer and relaunched FCP several times. My drives have plenty have empty space. Nothing else is running.

Don't know what to do other than erasing FCS and reinstalling it clean. I haven't done that since Mavericks probably. Or downgrading to Mavericks (I kept a CCC backup) but I really don't want to do that.

Anyone else experience this or have any suggestions?

My specs: FCP 6.0.6, El Capitan, rMBP 15" i7 2.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Videos keep slowing down during playback - FCP 6
on Jun 21, 2016 at 8:03:11 am

The last OS that fully supported FCP 7 was 10.6.8. El Capitan is 10.10. That's four OS versions after full support. Every OS update after 10.6.8 doesn't take FCP 7 working into account...because Apple discontinued it. So every OS version after 10.6.8 means the possibility of something not working. Compressor 3.5 and Motion and QMaster stop working at 10.9. Just what stops working is unpredictable.

The answer really is, if you need to rely on 7 year old software, then you need to keep an old OS that it works best with. For this reason, my Tower has a boot drive that's 10.6.8. I have newer OS versions as well, but FCP 7 and other software working on 10.6.8. I do have FCP 7 workig on my laptop on 10.9.5...but I won't update it after that because it, and other software i rely on stops working.

You might need to go back to that clone. That's one reason you do it...and it's great that you did. You can try trashing FCP 7 preferences with Preference Manager (digitalrebellion.com)...but if that doesn't work...then you might need to go back.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 21, 2016 at 8:05:08 am

Whoops, this was supposed to be the response to another post...but I guess it's relevant here too. Even more so, with FCP 6 being 9 years old...NINE! And you trying to run it on 10.10. Last OS is was supported on as 10.5.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Jun 21, 2016 at 3:39:43 pm

Yes, I am glad I made a clone. But so far, with some on and off editing, I haven't run into any major issues and really don't want to go back to Mavericks! I guess I will if I keep running into problems... or I might try FCP X and bring my project in with 7 to X and see if I can sail through the learning curve.

With some on and off editing over the past few months, I haven't run into any major issues. But then there's days like yesterday. It felt like spotlight was indexing or something was running in the background to cause video hiccups. But I haven't been able to isolate anything. Hours after I wrote the post, things returned to normal. It's a mystery.

My specs: FCP 6.0.6, El Capitan, rMBP 15" i7 2.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 22, 2016 at 7:17:33 pm

If you decide to switch to FCPX don't think you'll "sail through the learning curve." If you want to get up to speed fast, Premiere and Resolve are the NLEs you should consider.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]