FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any advice for making a freeze frame from a movie file?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
Any advice for making a freeze frame from a movie file?
on Mar 3, 2016 at 10:16:09 pm

I have a movie file which is a low quality footage. The film has a few photos that I wanna use as photos. I made freeze frames in FCP 7 and exported them. I wonder if there is another way.

What's the best way to make stills from a movie file?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Any advice for making a freeze frame from a movie file?
on Mar 8, 2016 at 4:42:58 pm

Use a 32-bit targa or tif file for the export.

One alternative or supplemental method you might try is to export/save the frame as a .pdf file, only because scaling up a PDF can appear sharper sometimes, since you're working in vector, rather than raster.

Before you export the still, do everything you can in the video timeline to color-correct and enhance it right there, first. Save in the highest resolution you have available. Then take the still into PhotoShop or other image editing program, stack a couple of identical layers, and play with adjusting blending modes and opacity between layers, as you manipulate color and shading on those layers. You can't add resolution, but you can affect the *apparent* resolution by sharpening the contrast and extending the dynamic range.

Return to posts index

Todd Gillespie
Re: Any advice for making a freeze frame from a movie file?
on Mar 8, 2016 at 5:31:12 pm

Mark is correct, as usual. If you are looking to make the freeze frames LARGER, then using Photoshop or another image manipulation software would work better then FCP.

Good Luck,

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]