FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7: When I Hit SAVE, where does it go?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ned Miller
FCP7: When I Hit SAVE, where does it go?
on Feb 23, 2016 at 6:26:48 pm

I am still limping along on 7 and plan to migrate to X soon but meanwhile I have several projects I am editing on 7 and crash perhaps once a hour. Once they are completed I will migrate.

But meanwhile, I have my Autosave on for every 5 minutes but if I do something really involved I hit Command S and figured it becomes a new autosave, correct? Where does it go if it's not the latest autosave.

Do I nee to go to Restore Project or Revert Project? It's scary as to the window that says you will lose changes. So, how can I best recover after a crash?

Thanks!

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer
http://www.nedmiller.com
www,bizvideo.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP7: When I Hit SAVE, where does it go?
on Feb 25, 2016 at 7:13:38 pm

[Ned Miller] "I have my Autosave on for every 5 minutes but if I do something really involved I hit Command S and figured it becomes a new autosave, correct?"

Nope.

[Ned Miller] "Where does it go if it's not the latest autosave."

It saves the main project file. The one you double click to open...if you manually SAVE, that's what you are saving.

[Ned Miller] "Do I nee to go to Restore Project or Revert Project?"

Nope.

[Ned Miller] "So, how can I best recover after a crash?"

Just open the project. If you saved, and then you crashed, that project will have the last time you saved.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

William Schelhas
on Feb 25, 2016 at 8:48:13 pm

At the top of your FCP Project you will see the words Final Cut Pro. Click on that. Under there you will see System Settings. Click there. That will tell you where your project is saving to. When I start a new project on FCP 7 I always go through the following routine. Open System settings, as mentioned above. Set a location where you want to save your project in the top pane of the window. I usually use portable external hard drives that I have formatted as Mac OS Journaled, I think. On the hard drive create a file where you want your project to be saved and put that in the first line of the pane under Scratch Discs. You can set several different drives for different projects but the drives have to all be attached. Or you will get errors that your drive isn't found. I usually only have 1 there anyway. Click all the checkmarks next to your folder that you have set. Then, underneath, you will see, Waveform, Thumbnail and Autosave. Select the same location to save those. Now you have established a single location for all your components of your project to be saved in the same place. If you open that folder, you will see all the FCP Files. Capture Scratch holds all your video clips, autosave vault will hold all your autosaves in a folder with the name of your project. Now, that you have set these file locations, open your project and give it a name under Save Project AS. This should save in the same location as all your other project files. The upside to doing this is that ALL components of your project can be in one folder that is easy to share, backup or copy to other drives etc. Just copy that one folder to a new drive. Also, when you get other assets, say music, logos, jpgs, artwork, or even videos, make sure you save everything into that same folder so that it is ALL self contained. Then, in your FCP Project, in the window that shows all your sequences and bins, click and select IMPORT under the FILE menu. Go to your project folder and IMPORT your assets into your project.

Return to posts index

William Schelhas
on Feb 25, 2016 at 8:55:42 pm

OH, and a reminder. People around my office always forget this. It is especially important if you are sharing a computer with others. When you leave your project and come back to it later, or if you have moved to another project and come back, always check in System Settings to make sure your file locations are correct. I can't tell you how many times I have had someone come to me in a panic because they can't find their stuff. I then open System Settings and find that they are saving their autosaves and capture scratches to other peoples folders or to the folders of another project. Or they open their project file and find an older version when they know they saved it recently. Answer? They saved to the wrong folder.

Return to posts index

William Schelhas
on Feb 25, 2016 at 9:01:35 pm

Command S does not save to Autosave. It actually saves to your FCP Project file. It is just saving your project. Which you want to do from time to time anyway. Autosave is different in that it will allow you, if you find you don't like something and want to go back, or if you crash, You can find a file that will allow you to go back and not have to start over. Keep in mind that depending on your settings, you may only have so many autosaves before it starts to erase the oldest to replace with a newer.

Return to posts index

Ned Miller
on Feb 25, 2016 at 9:17:32 pm

Thanks Shane & William! I greatly appreciate your advice.

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer
http://www.nedmiller.com
www,bizvideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]