FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issues with iPhone 6 Footage in Final Cut Pro 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zachary Moore
Issues with iPhone 6 Footage in Final Cut Pro 7
on Aug 28, 2015 at 5:52:57 am

Ok, so I thought that I would try out the iPhone 6's camera by filming a silly little comedy thing. Nothing too important, but I had hoped to use the iPhone 6 on larger projects because I liked the look of it. Unfortunately I'm running into some major issues with editing it in FCP7, and I can't figure out what to do about it. Mainly, the video goes all out of sync when I import into FCP7 (it plays fine in quicktime).

Here's my workflow:

1. I shoot using the MoviePro App. Here's the recording settings: 1920x1080, 24 fps, Audio: AAC Stereo, 44.1 kHz
2. I used iTunes to get the .mov files off the iPhone and stick them in a harddrive
3. I convert the files to ProRes using mpeg streamclip.
4. I import the prores files directly into FCP

At this point, if I play the files in the viewer the sound and audio will get more and more out of sync as it plays. I've tried moving the dialogue to sync it back up in the sequence, but it still doesn't look right. Also, if I then export the synced up sequence to a Quicktime file, everything gets out of sync again and all of the shots have been shifted slightly, so it messes up the entire sequence.

Now, I've done a lot of digging around, and as far as I can tell the problem isn't with the audio, it's with the video. If I look at the video settings for the prores file in quicktime, it says the that the frame rate is 24.02 FPS. If I look at the settings in FCP for the same clip, it says that the frame rate is 24.98 fps. The frame rate settings for the normal unconverted file in quicktime is 24.03.

So what can I do? Is there a way to change the frame rate in FCP? Do I need to convert the files differently? Should I have shot it with different settings? Am I just outta luck when it comes to editing iPhone 6 footage in FCP7?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]