FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capture Clips from Streaming

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Anderson
Capture Clips from Streaming
on May 26, 2015 at 12:51:38 pm

I'm new to Apple Final Cut Pro and am using a trial version to see if it will meet my needs.

One of the things I am playing with is attempting to see if I can capture from some streaming movies, say from Netflix or Amazon Prime Video - this is just for my own personal use (related to my daughters grad gift). Would anyone know if the above is even possible?

Thank you in advance for any responses.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Capture Clips from Streaming
on May 28, 2015 at 12:00:36 pm

That's not how you'd do that.

If you want to grab clips from youtube and then edit them for home movie gag reel fun, get the free application/ web app called clipconvertercc.

You drop the URL of any youtube video into clip converter via copy/paste, then you can extract and download a version in MP3 audio, or various video formats, which you can then edit with. You can capture and download entire clips or designate by run time the start and end of the clip from a longer section.

Once you have the clips captured, you can edit them in FCP7 or FCPX. FCPX would be easier, since it will handle any clip format you throw at it, and the older FCP7, long since EOL and discontinued, may require the clips to first be converted to a format FCP7 prefers. Apple Compressor can handle those conversions, (and if you have FCP7 you likely already have Compressor) or use a freeware app called MPEG Streamclip to convert weird or newer-format files into pro res files that FCP7 understands.

One other way to capture youtube type clips would be to play them large on your desktop, and using the free screen recording feature within Quicktime Player. Go to Quicktime Player, File>New screen Recording, drag a window around the frame of the youtube player screen, hit the record button, stop when done. Save the recording, import it into Final Cut, then in Final Cut, use cropping tools to get rid of any unwanted edges.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]