FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frames skipping in playback. Is it a frame-rate or interlacing issue?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Rosenfeld
Frames skipping in playback. Is it a frame-rate or interlacing issue?
on May 26, 2015 at 12:53:37 am

Hi, I'm running FCP 7 on a Mac with Snow Leopard. I have some source footage from a Samsung Galaxy S3, and some from a GoPro. In order to be able to import all of it into the project, I changed all the footage into Apple ProRes 422 LT with frame rate at 30 fps, interlaced, and audio at 44.1 kHz using AAC compression. Then I set my sequence settings to Apple ProRes 422 LT 16:9 with 48 kHz audio (44.1 not give as an option).

When I tried to drag the imported footage into the sequence, an error message came up saying that the settings didn't match (I have no idea why), but I gave the program permission to go ahead and make them match. Then the footage dragged in to the sequence fine except that it needed rendering. But upon playback, I realized that it's skipping frames (even tho rendering is complete).

So what could be the problem? Should I not have set fps to 30 when converting the files to ProRes? Should I have done something different with the "interlaced" vs. "de-interlace" options? Should I have chosen an aspect ratio of 16:9 "unscaled" instead of just normal HD 16:9? There's so much that might have beenn the issue, but I don't have a clue.

The problem is partly in knowing what the fps for the source footage was. The internet tells me that Samsung Galaxy S3 uses 30fps, but also some people say its fps is variable. As for GoPro, I couldn't find the framerate to save my life. Furthermore, I don't know the model of GoPro camera it was nor what it was set to.

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
Re: Frames skipping in playback. Is it a frame-rate or interlacing issue?
on May 26, 2015 at 3:05:19 pm

Both the Samsung and GoPro shoot progressive footage, not interlaced. You can use Quicktime Player 7 > Window > Movie Inspector to find the frame rate of the footage. FCP7 will also tell you the frame rate in one of the Browser columns. Leave your audio at 48 kHz, no reason to go to 44.1. You were on the right track but sounds like you need to google and learn about progressive vs interlaced, codecs, wrappers.

@ericstrand11

Return to posts index

Eric Rosenfeld
Re: Frames skipping in playback. Is it a frame-rate or interlacing issue?
on May 27, 2015 at 1:18:17 am

I think now that the problem is in the sequence settings and rendering. The footage looks fine when I play it directly from the browser, but as soon as I drag it into the sequence and render it, it gets screwed up. The problem is that I don't know why. I have the sequence settings and the footage matching in frame rate, aspect ratio, and interlacing. What's even weirder is that rendering screwed up some of the clips but not all of them. One of the Samsung clips I dragged in turned out normal, but the other would stay on the same frame twice in a row for each click of the arrow button on the keyboard. And in regular speed play back it would also jerk around like it was skipping several frames at a time. Just weird.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]