CLIENT CAN'T PLAY QT/HD on PC

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dunwoody Lampton
CLIENT CAN'T PLAY QT/HD on PC
on Jan 9, 2015 at 7:44:53 pm

I have a client who wanted interviews shot/edited to play
on-demand for their website.
They requested High Definition end format.

I used Sony HDV camera recording to MiniDV tape
and editing with Final Cut Express HD 3.5.1.

Been editing at home and sending approval links to
the client using .wmv files since they upload/download
quicker than the end format - full res HD files.

After three early versions the client finally approved
the final version so I converted it to Quicktime 1080i HDV,
which are of course very large files.

The client is trying to view the final QT/HD version on
PCs that don't have Quicktime for Windows installed.
They've already approved the final version in .wmv format
but are curious/want to see the "real" final HD files as
they will look/play on the website,
but can't because - again - they don't have QT installed
on their PCs or don't own an Apple device.

Is there any way around this or do they simply have to
install QT/Windows or buy/borrow an Apple device?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: CLIENT CAN'T PLAY QT/HD on PC
on Jan 9, 2015 at 9:38:49 pm

You might try other media players like VLC or MPEG Streamclip, both of which are free. But they may still require adding the QT player component.

Return to posts index

Dunwoody Lampton
on Jan 9, 2015 at 10:59:09 pm

Yes, I have used M-peg Streamclip and it required QT component (for $20). So this will still produce a file wrapped in a QT package.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 9, 2015 at 10:37:03 pm

[Dunwoody Lampton] "They've already approved the final version in .wmv format but are curious/want to see the "real" final HD files as they will look/play on the website, but can't because - again - they don't have QT installed on their PCs or don't own an Apple device."
If you are delivering for the web, you should deliver in a format that will play on every device. A ubiquitous web format is MPEG4 AVC/H.264 files. You can probably use Apple Compressor to create these from your HDV QuickTime files.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Dunwoody Lampton
on Jan 9, 2015 at 10:57:45 pm

JR - first, thanks for quick response.

The client insisted on HD acquisition AND HD end format. Not much I could do to talk them out of it.

I'm working with a PowerMac G5/Dual and F.C.E. HD 3.5.1.

The few times I've converted to .mp4 files they always carry a Quicktime file package, so these still won't open on PCs without QT installed. Also, will the conversion to .mp4 maintain High Definition acquisition are will these by Standard Definition/.mp4 files I would be producing?

Also, once these final versions are uploaded to the client's website, any PC or Mac will be able to view/play.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 10, 2015 at 1:55:59 pm

[Dunwoody Lampton] "The client insisted on HD acquisition AND HD end format. Not much I could do to talk them out of it."
There is no need to talk them out of it. You should deliver HD 1920x1080-30p MPEG4 AVC/H.264 media to them.
[Dunwoody Lampton] "The few times I've converted to .mp4 files they always carry a Quicktime file package, so these still won't open on PCs without QT installed."
The .mp4 file is a subset of .mov because the MPEG4 container is a subset of the QuickTime container. I have rendered .mp4 files on my PC and renamed them to .mov and given them to Mac clients that demanded QuickTime files and they have accepted them and are none the wiser because one is a subset of the other. All modern PC's (Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8) can play .mp4 files with Windows Media Player with no additional software. Windows XP might need the latest version of Windows Media Player because the one that ships with XP is ancient. You do not need QuickTime to play .mp4 files on a PC.
[Dunwoody Lampton] "Also, will the conversion to .mp4 maintain High Definition acquisition are will these by Standard Definition/.mp4 files I would be producing?"
They will be High Definition. AVC/H.264 is what Blu-ray disc are made of. It can be higher quality than the original HDV you shot. AVC/H.264 @ 16Mbps is equal in quality to HDV @ 25Mbps.
[Dunwoody Lampton] "Also, once these final versions are uploaded to the client's website, any PC or Mac will be able to view/play."
They will play on Windows, Linux, and Mac computers. All modern browsers support the playing of MPEG4 files. It's the only format that is natively cross platform.

~jr

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 10, 2015 at 12:14:34 am

Apple's HDV codec isn't available for QuickTime for Windows; it's only available on the Mac.

While web distribution will probably be H.264, you might consider offering them a ProRes master if they insist. ProRes decode is cross-platform.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Dunwoody Lampton
on Jan 10, 2015 at 12:40:04 am

W.S. - thanks for response. If ProRes is compatible with ancient PowerMac G5 and old F.C.E. HD 3.5.1, then awesome. If not, then it will be awhile until I can afford hardware and software upgrades.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 10, 2015 at 2:19:44 pm

[Dunwoody Lampton] "If ProRes is compatible with ancient PowerMac G5 and old F.C.E. HD 3.5.1, then awesome. If not, then it will be awhile until I can afford hardware and software upgrades."
With all due respect... what is your business plan for upgrading your 11 year old computer? How long is "awhile"? If your clients are requesting that you deliver modern internet formats, you need a computer that can generate modern internet formats.

I ask only to help because not too long ago I picked up a 2008 Mac Pro 2.8 Ghz 8-Core. 16GB memory, Radeon HD 5870 for $740 USD on eBay and it's running Yosemite and Final Cut Pro X quite nicely. You might be able to afford an upgrade that gets you back in the game if you buy "less used" hardware than what you have to get you onto the Intel Mac platform.

~jr

Return to posts index

Dunwoody Lampton
on Jan 11, 2015 at 3:43:32 pm

John - respect greatly appreciated.

I've been unemployed or grossly underemployed since June 1, and haven't relied on freelance EFP or post-production as primary income sources since 2010.

I know eBay is always a great source for discounted hardware and software, but when the bank is currently battling to foreclose my house, I obviously have to make judicious decisions with infrequent income opportunities.

As client demand for upgrade-relevant services and products increases, I will be forced to research those discounted purchase choices. Until then, I'm trying to creatively stretch what I currently own to its maximum usefulness.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 11, 2015 at 7:22:08 pm

Understood. I'm amazed that you can still get by with a G5. It's a testament to how great Mac's really are. My only point was that getting onto the Intel platform opens up a lot of new software for you.

If you ever need a file rendered that you can't produce, let me know. I'd be happy to render it for you from whatever source you have if you're stuck. We could use DropBox to exchange files. I'm always willing to help a fellow struggling editor.

~jr

Return to posts index

Dunwoody Lampton
on Jan 14, 2015 at 7:08:36 pm

Yes, I've really stretched-out all the value and more from an investment in used hardware nine years ago! Not terribly amazing, though, when you understand that the vast majority of my clients are thrilled with near-cuts only end products and don't require motion graphics/video effects for their needs. Most of my corporate work is for video news releases or products which are similarly low on effects. And I may take you up on your conversion offer some day. Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 10, 2015 at 1:58:59 pm

[Walter Soyka] "you might consider offering them a ProRes master if they insist. ProRes decode is cross-platform."
Yea, but that doesn't solve his problem of not requiring QuickTime on Windows. You can't play a ProRes file on Windows without installing QuickTime first. It sounds like the client want's a finished internet ready file. That would be MPEG4 AVC/H.264 (.mp4).

~jr

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 10, 2015 at 7:23:44 pm

[John Rofrano] "Yea, but that doesn't solve his problem of not requiring QuickTime on Windows. You can't play a ProRes file on Windows without installing QuickTime first. It sounds like the client want's a finished internet ready file. That would be MPEG4 AVC/H.264 (.mp4)."

Roger that -- I thought he was assuming that they must not have QuickTime because they couldn't play the Apple HDV QuickTime files. Those files would not play on a Windows system with QuickTIme, either. I should have read the OP more closely, because he clearly said that they do not have QuickTime installed.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]