FORUMS: list search recent posts

I need advice from an FCP ninja -- how to convert files with MPEG Streamclip for FCP7????

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anne Thompson
I need advice from an FCP ninja -- how to convert files with MPEG Streamclip for FCP7????
on Dec 5, 2014 at 9:21:14 am

I am new to FCP and need help converting video files to the proper format for FCP.

I am making a movie in FCP 7 that is composed of clips from two different cameras. One is a flip camera (which makes AVI files) and the other is a gopro hero 3+ (which makes mp4s). I am converting the files in MPEG Streamclip but I am not sure which settings to use. I want to maintain the quality of the originals and have them be easy to work with in FCP. I have read that choosing Apple ProRes is the best option, but beyond that I am unclear.

- Do the clips from both cameras need to be converted to the exact same settings to be used in the same FCP project? Or is my choice of settings based upon the kind of file I am exporting?

-Which of the 5 different prores compression settings should I be choosing? What about all the other options/settings in the exporter window of MPEG?

-Once converted, will I still have to render the files in FCP? Are there any types of files I can use in FCP that won't have to be rendered as I work?

The AVI files that I have are labeled as follows:
Bit Rate: 2.41 Mbps
Video Tracks: Xvid, 640 × 480, 30 fps, 2.25 Mbps
Audio Tracks: MS ADPCM mono, 44.1 kHz, 177 kbps

The MP4s from the gopro are h.264 codec.

-Finally, I have read about the gopro studio 2.o application which converts the files to a good fcp format. Is this something I should be using instead of MPEG streamclip?

Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: I need advice from an FCP ninja -- how to convert files with MPEG Streamclip for FCP7????
on Dec 5, 2014 at 5:27:10 pm

Not a ninja, still in the "sand floor/ paint the fence" stage myself, but... Streamclip should handle it all just fine. Convert each source to ProRes 422, and in the controls for FCP7, go to "easy setups" and select a ProRes 422 easy setup. Then import the converted materials, and you should have a smooth experience with a minimum of rendering issues.

Return to posts index

Anne Thompson
Re: I need advice from an FCP ninja -- how to convert files with MPEG Streamclip for FCP7????
on Dec 5, 2014 at 9:43:34 pm

OK, I took one of my avi clips and exported it to quicktime via MPEG streamclip. I chose the Apple ProRes 422 setting and changed none of the other settings, except 100% quality.

Then I opened a new project and used the Easy Setup of Apple ProRes 422. I imported the new .mov file but when I drag it to the timeline I get the following message:

"Attention -- this clip does not match your sequence settings or any of your sequence presets.

For best performance your sequence and external video should be set to the format of the clips you are editing.

Change sequence settings to match clip settings? Yes or no"

Does this mean my export is not the right format? Or should I just click yes?

Also, when I convert the MP4 files from my GoPro, should I use the exact same setting in MPEG streamclip? Should The framesize be different? Do all the files in a particular project have to be in the same exact format?

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]