FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quality Loss After Rendering

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Fox
Quality Loss After Rendering
on Nov 25, 2014 at 2:01:34 am

I'm a bit puzzled…

I'm compositing standard definition video in After Effects.

When I bring video I composited in After Effects into Final Cut Pro, it looks great in the viewer window. That is, until I add a dissolve or add a layer, say with a Photoshop file, which then needs to be rendered (red line appears until rendered). But as soon as I do that, the video quality suddenly looks terrible. If I'm parked on a frame that hasn't yet been rendered, (in the red line zone), the image looks great. Park on a frame that has been rendered, it looks like a vhs dub of a vhs dub.

More to the point, my final destination is to burn this video onto a standard DVD, which then gets projected. The exported files, whether exported using "Export Quicktime Movie" or using Compressor, looks terrible in comparison to the video quality of the exports coming out of After Effects.

Any suggestions?

720x480 NTSC DV 3:2, Compressor: Animation, 100% quality

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Quality Loss After Rendering
on Nov 26, 2014 at 5:07:05 pm

You're using the DV codec, which is already highly compressed and not kind to fine details or graphics.

Return to posts index

Mike Fox
on Nov 26, 2014 at 7:14:24 pm

Thanks for your reply, Mark.

Is there another codec I should be using that will give me better quality, keeping in mind that my ultimate destination is burning to DVD?

(I'm coming out of After Effects using the Animation Codec, but it's the part coming out of Final Cut where I lose the quality).

Mike

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 26, 2014 at 7:27:40 pm

Work in Pro Res 422 until the final export steps, then make MPEG 2 via Compressor for the DVD authoring.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]