FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victoria Harwood
Final Cut Pro
on Sep 12, 2014 at 10:38:51 am

Hi there, I've been working on a video project using Final Cut Pro on an old Apple Mac PowerBook G4 PowerBook. I'm capturing DV media on two drives - a LaCie d2 Quadra and more recently a GRaid drive. I've gotten into the habit of putting the computer to sleep and not shutting down as each time I start up I spent ages re linking movies that the system cannot automatically find. Can anyone give me an idiot proof outline of how I should be organising the video files which seem to be all over the place. My Lacie recently seemed to have died but another power cable got it working again. I'm now trying to copy large folders of data off onto the GRaid but this may add to the disorder...the GRaid just crashed too so I've had to restart... Any advice on any if the above greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Final Cut Pro
on Sep 16, 2014 at 9:53:10 pm

Check your boot drive, see if you're accidentally recording files into it, instead of where you intended. You are supposed to designate a folder on one of those externals as your "scratch drive", where all the footage is kept. The Project file, you can keep on the boot drive or another drive: it stays pretty small. But once you start plugging and unplugging external drives and changing where you out stuff, you'll get problems like this. Go back thru your System Settings tab, and make sure your path to the scratch drive for all the footage is correct. Then you can have the media Manager hunt down and re-connect everything.

I would leave the sleep and drive sleep settings "off" on this setup.

Return to posts index

Victoria Harwood
on Sep 17, 2014 at 10:32:32 am

Thanks so much Mark for taking the time. I've checked my settings and all captured material is directed to be captured to my external GRaid. However when I look in the folder where all the footage should be it say it contains 0. I tried it on my husbands computer and that also indicates the contents of the folder are 0, that it was amended in June 2014. But I can play the footage in FCP! In fact I uploaded more material yesterday and that plays too. Something has gone seriously awry somewhere. I looked at the media manager and don't know how it works, will have to read up. Any more thoughts or advice greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Victoria Harwood
on Sep 29, 2014 at 9:18:29 pm

It's a problem with my GRaid - all my media is in a file that the drive won't recognise. It's still there but the drive can't find it. When my editor friend plugged the drive into her computer her fcp crashed. My only option now is to use media manager to transfer the footage to a new drive. Only (other) problem is that when I copy, fcp is splitting video & sound... Anyone know how to prevent this happening? Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]