FORUMS: list search recent posts

Black screen when importing .mov

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Federico Pas
Black screen when importing .mov
on Apr 20, 2014 at 11:49:32 pm

Hi, first of all I'm completely new to video editing, so please bear with me.

I recorded some video with my Nikon D5200 and I imported it to my MacBook Pro using iPhoto. The result was a couple of .MOV files. I opened Final Cut Pro X and imported the files. The problem is when I try to run these files, FCP shows a black screen, although the sound works just fine.
I tried importing these same files to Adobe Premiere Elements 11 and it works, it shows the video and everything. VLC and Quicktime Player don't have a problem reading the files either.
Any hint on where the problem might be?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Federico Pas
Re: Black screen when importing .mov
on May 15, 2014 at 9:12:43 pm

I made it work, unfortunately I can't provide an answer because I installed a brand new FCP and it just worked. I think I was missing some codecs or something like that. Bottom line, it works now.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 21, 2014 at 1:45:31 pm

Don't use iphoto for importing video into final cut. Are you using final cut 7, or fcp-x?

Return to posts index

Federico Pas
on Apr 21, 2014 at 7:25:39 pm

I's Final Cut Pro X. And I use the iPhoto to import the videos into my computer, then from my computer I imported them to FCP

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 21, 2014 at 8:49:05 pm

Do not use iPhoto to import the video. There is a simple and effective import system in FCPX. Make a new folder in your a/v hard drive. Copy your entire camera card contents into this new folder, and name the folder for the job. Open FCPX and do the automatic import from there, to bring in the footage from the folder,. and format it correctly. Now you have your footage in FCPX, your media is backed up, and the cards can be lost or wiped without endangering your project.

iPhoto is for photos only. Use FCPX to import both stills AND VIDEO.

Return to posts index

Federico Pas
on Apr 21, 2014 at 9:40:18 pm

I copied the folder named DCIM to my HD, inside there's a folder named 100D5200 and inside there's the .MOV file. I opened FCP and clicked in import file. I chose this .MOV file from my HD and the same problem remains. The audio works but the screen is black...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 21, 2014 at 9:57:05 pm

Why not try to use the OPTIMIZE MEDIA option in FCP? This will convert it to ProRes. Try one clip and see if that works.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Federico Pas
on Apr 24, 2014 at 2:26:07 am

When I import a file in the Transcoding tag (it say "Transcoding: " and the two options) I checked the Create optimized media. But still it doesn't work. I'm not sure if that's the way to do it.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 29, 2014 at 6:25:48 am

I'm entirely new to this forum and very new to FCPX also but seem to be suffering the same problem.

I've recorded fairly long (19-20min) videos using my Nikon D7000. All files were recorded @ 1080p 24fps. They're are big files. They seem to be importing but once the import process is completed the files go black. They still display audio but no video. The video is visible during the import process but as soon as that is completed it goes black.

I've done a fairly extensive search for solutions online and thus far come up with nothing. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Tim W

Return to posts index

Federico Pas
on May 2, 2014 at 1:21:48 am

If you find the solution please let me know Tim. I've had this problem for about 2 weeks now and I'm just stuck. Any help is very welcomed.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on May 2, 2014 at 8:19:31 am

I did 2 things and seem to have solved the problem but I'm not sure which action did the trick.

The first thing I did was uninstall and then reinstall FCPX. I u google it, apple support has a step by step guide on how to do this.

The second thing I did was purchase a high performance 1TB external HD. I needed one for my video an couldn't completely rule out the possibility that the HD I was using just wasn't up to it.

Anyway, I spent 4hrs on the project this afternoon without any problems so hopefully I don't encounter the same issues. Best of luck

Tim W

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]