FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for a certain look cant find plugin anywhere please for Final Cut pro it will really make me happy

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mohsin Khan
Looking for a certain look cant find plugin anywhere please for Final Cut pro it will really make me happy
on Mar 18, 2014 at 2:47:57 pm

Please I beg you, I am trying to create a great video and love this effect I have searched High and Low and even tried to reach out to the people who made this video but I cannot get it. I want this grey tint and color from my video like they have please please help me find it I will be so happy any suggestions ideas even pointing me in the right direction would help.

Here is the link

It looks like a grey tint or something I just cant pin point the plugin or what

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Looking for a certain look cant find plugin anywhere please for Final Cut pro it will really make me happy
on Mar 18, 2014 at 3:54:05 pm

There's a couple of things it can be.

The simplest is that using the three-way color corrector in FCP7, the editor just raised the "black level" in the far right-hand color correction wheel. What this does is change the level of the darkest, shadow tones. I don't like that, myself, but it can give a "look" like this.

Back in the old days, when our cameras were steam-powered, and you wanted to make your video more "film-like", one of the techniques used was to trap a stretched piece of women's pantyhose stocking material between the lens and the image sensor, either a white stocking or a black stocking. This gave a custom diffusion effect that also looked a little like this in your video samples. I think there are plug-ins for that kind of diffusion in the "Magic Bullet Looks" collection. Or try a diffusion filter plug-in from Tiffen or other plug-makers.

There is another way to do this same kind of thing, for free, in your timeline, and that is by layering multiple identical video tracks in a stack, doing color correction and blurs separately on each track, then changing the way they blend into each other by adjusting opacity and blend mode/transfer mode, or in FCP-speak: Modify>Composite mode. You would color-correct and saturate just the dark tones in one track, the mids in another, and tint the highlights in a third track. and maybe add a little blur. Then mixing the opacity of the layers creates the final overall look. Adding mask layers or vignettes in between can add even more effect variation.

There is a great tutorial on this at Digital Juice, it's pretty old now, but search their video training archives for a tutorial by Chris "Ace" Gates on on Blend Modes. Classic stuff and I use his ideas from that tutorial often.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Looking for a certain look cant find plugin anywhere please for Final Cut pro it will really make me happy
on Mar 18, 2014 at 4:56:08 pm

And here's the link to the DJ tutorial

http://www.digitaljuice.com/djtv/detail.aspx?sid=163

Return to posts index

jerry wise
on Mar 18, 2014 at 4:57:19 pm

boy that brought back memories. back in the 70's we would ask the receptionist for her brown pantyhose to wrap over the lens. it gave us a nice sepia diffused look. that was of course back when vtr's were made of wood and the operators were made of iron.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 18, 2014 at 6:24:09 pm

LOL, I know, right? I wonder if anybody still uses the stretched-stocking trick with modern cameras and lenses today... or do they put a filter in their matte box or just invoke a plug-in during post?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]