FORUMS: list search recent posts

Change the RAM, get a SSD, or both?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
Change the RAM, get a SSD, or both?
on Jan 20, 2014 at 6:32:37 am

I have a 17' inch MacbookPro from mid-2009. I had upgraded to 8GB of RAM, however when I brought my computer in for a repair last week, the company the Apple Store outsources to said the RAM was defective, and when the computer was returned they had put in new RAM, but 4GB of RAM (what the cmoputer originally came with.)

I'm a bit annoyed that they didn't give me more data about the defective RAM....but I guess I ought to trust the evaluation (famous last words...)

So, my computer is running a bit slower, especially since I'm often using Final Cut Pro and other programs at the same time.

I'm considering springing for new RAM to go back up to 8GB (the most I can do....) but I've also considered getting a SSD for the computer to speed it up.

Is it worth getting the RAM if I'll likely get the SSD? Or just put the money in the SSD? Again, I use Final Cut Pro a lot which is why I want to speed up my machine.
oxband is online now Report Post

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Change the RAM, get a SSD, or both?
on Jan 21, 2014 at 5:28:26 pm

At a guess, I'd say the added RAm will help a little, the SSD drive, not that much. A faster external RAID drive for your media can help, but it will only be as fast as the fastest port you have externally.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]