FORUMS: list search recent posts

Projecting ProRes quicktime from a laptop

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Diamond
Projecting ProRes quicktime from a laptop
on Dec 19, 2013 at 12:05:09 am

Hello,

A client has a a screening at a gallery and has to use his laptop to screen the movie, and he won't use a dvd. He has an old G4 powerbook running FCP and the the prores file I want to give him is 16 GB. Should I put it on an external drive and have him run it off of that, or put it on his internal drive and point to the file that way? My hesitation with an external drive is it would be a firewire 800 and it might drop frames and stutter with a large file that is 1920x1080. But running it on the HD of the computer, won't that drop frames as well?

Thank you for any help!

Jake

Return to posts index

Todd Gillespie
Re: Projecting ProRes quicktime from a laptop
on Dec 19, 2013 at 12:10:15 am

Don't use FCP.
Play the file through QuickTime. The FireWire external will probably be a better choice than the internal.

Good Luck,
Todd

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Jake Diamond
on Dec 19, 2013 at 12:13:28 am

Thanks Todd! I tried playing it in Quciktime off an external Lacie Rugged drive and it lagged and stuttered. Is there a different/faster firewire drive I could get that might help? Or would a newer macbook help?

Thank you again,

Jake

Return to posts index

Todd Gillespie
on Dec 19, 2013 at 12:21:44 am

Different Hard dive won't help. Probably an issue with playing high quality ProRes file. Old laptop is struggling with the bandwidth of the HQ. Obviously a newer computer might help. Although I've had issues with smooth playback with new laptops.

You really don't need to show it as a ProRes, you're not going to notice the better quality on a projector, unless it's +$40k cinema projector.

Try exporting *SMALL* test clips to other formats, MP4 & H264 at different data rates to see if you kind find a combination that can play smoothly.

Good Luck

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Jake Diamond
on Dec 19, 2013 at 2:43:15 am

Thanks again Todd - very helpful. I'll try H.264 and see what I get for quality.

Jake

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]