FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV with FCP 7 vs. Imovie

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vincent Strader
HDV with FCP 7 vs. Imovie
on Nov 13, 2013 at 7:26:19 pm

Media drive failed. Lost EVERYTHING and then some. Long story short it's all working now, but I no longer have Imovie for some odd reason. It came pre-installed.

FCP7, on my machine at least, has never captured HDV well. I'm sure since FCP7 everybody knows how, why, and what the reasons are.

Imovie however captured ALL of my HDV footage perfectly with no hickups. I'd capture everyting in Imovie then drag it to FCP.

Along the lines was there ever a list of settings that would allow FCP to capture HDV? When I capture it separates shots I have into separate clips, and also will not start capturing until after a point I wanted captured.

Sorry, I know this is old school, but if anybody can share any pointers or any links to pointers I would appreciate it. Never had to worry until the media crash of 2013 :)

Vinnie
---
24, LOST, Prison Break, FRINGE, Supernatural, DEXTER, Breaking Bad, CHUCK, Flash Forward, HEROES...even SMALLVILLE in the latter seasons.. they've all ruined my movie going experience by being better than so many movies out today.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: HDV with FCP 7 vs. Imovie
on Nov 16, 2013 at 1:12:37 am

iMovie captured HDV as Apple Intermediate Codec. It compressed the footage and ignored the timecode. That's why it was able to do it without breaking it up. But those are both unprofessional things...AIC and no timecode. Professionals want timecode, and the best quality codec you can get.

Choose the HDV 1080i60 Easy Setup. And yes, FCP will break up the clips. Sorry, that's due to the nature of HDV...it's a GOP format and any time you pause the camera, it will break the stream and cause a new clip to be made. If you turn off timecode capture...ignore it...it will capture across those breaks. But then if you need to rebuild the cut for any reason, you'll have to recapture and manually recut. Timecode is VERY important.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]