FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should I get an SSD hard drive for editing?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
Should I get an SSD hard drive for editing?
on Oct 27, 2013 at 6:58:39 pm

I have a MBP pro. It's a 17 inch from 2009 with 8GB of RAM and a 3.06 Ghz processor and I'm running Os X 10.7.5. For film editing, I use FCP 7.

I do feel like the computer is starting to show it's age. It's definitely not as fast as it used to be. This is the primary computer I use for editing. This is partly because I've been doing so much travel late but that will end in March.

I'm thinking about ways to make my experience faster. I'm considering swapping out my hard drive for an SSD hard drive. The other option would be to buy a desktop computer that I could keep in my apartment. Thoughts on whether or not it's worth it to get an SSD drive for my computer?

One other caveat: I'm considering switching to FCP X once I'm settled into an apartment in March. I dont know if that should impact my answer.

Thanks in advance. These forums are always so essential to me!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Should I get an SSD hard drive for editing?
on Oct 28, 2013 at 6:22:26 am

A faster System HD will help, but what is more important is that you put all your media files and render folder on any external fast HD.
rafael

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Should I get an SSD hard drive for editing?
on Oct 28, 2013 at 3:04:21 pm

This is all just my own opinion FWIW.

If it is slower than it used to be, your first step may have to go in there and clean some stuff out. System drives get slower as they approach 80 percent or so filled-up. With smaller available empty blocks or contiguous empty blocks to put stuff, the seeking time for the mechanical read-write head has to go up. It may well be that an SSD system drive wouldn't have the seek time issues of a mechanical disk drive, but I think it would still start to slow down as well when it approached less than 20 percent empty space.

I'm unfamiliar with the RAM limits on macbooks, but would always suggest you max out RAM.

The A/V files should live on a fast RAID 0 or RAID 5 external array, using the fastest interface the macbook has. Keep the same 80/20 rule on that RAID.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]