FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can it control two video recorders to edit to tape simultaneously?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Han
Can it control two video recorders to edit to tape simultaneously?
on Oct 15, 2013 at 9:01:39 am

Hi,
I am a video system engineer at a broadcasting corp..
we use MAC&FCP 7, VCR(HDW-2000), XDCAM STATION(PD-1000).
FCP can edit to tape one of the VCR and the XDCAM STATION separately.
Is there anyone who knows the way to "edit to tape" into both the VCR and the XDCAM STATION.

I would really appreciate it if anyone can give me any info.

Return to posts index

Todd Gillespie
Re: Can it control two video recorders to edit to tape simultaneously?
on Oct 15, 2013 at 3:53:55 pm

Hi Kevin,

Unfortunately I don't believe there's any way to control 2 VTRs simultaneously through FCP. Even with a AJA, BM, or other card, the user still can only control one VTR at a time. There maybe a way to splice a RS 422 cable to control 2 decks at once, but I've never heard of it.

If you are trying to simultaneously record to multiple devices, you can achieve that with a router/switcher and/or other hardware. (however you would not be able to do precise timecode recordings)

FWIW,

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 15, 2013 at 8:25:48 pm

I think he's right... but there may be a gizmo from BlackMagic that could feed multiple decks... it would however require the BMD card, their software, and a mac pro tower to run it.

If the time code isn't a factor, I would play out of the mac into a frame synch and DA and punch record on as many devices as you want to hook to the DA.

Return to posts index

Kevin Han
on Oct 16, 2013 at 7:36:13 am

Thank you for you reply, Mark.

I tried to find a BMD that supports two remote ports, however I couldn't find the one.
I guess, as long as there is one RS422 port with which TX and RX communicate bidirectionally, I cannot find the way to control two recorders.

Kevin Han at KBS

Return to posts index

Kevin Han
on Oct 16, 2013 at 7:17:59 am

I guess you are right.
TCs of the both recorders should be identical in order to insert video or audio or the both.

Thank you anyway, Todd.

Kevin Han at KBS

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 16, 2013 at 7:40:09 pm

The machine room operators I've worked with can do this with their routers and switchers. They'll output to HDCAM SR and then simultaneously to Digibeta. The main reason for this was that editing to tape with FCP, early on, wasn't spot on frame accurate 100% of the time. They'd run the digibeta, and then stop it 15 seconds in, to check to see if picture started at 1:00:00;00. If it did, they knew they were good to go. If not, they'd stop and start over, instead of waiting for the 44 min output to happen, THEN discover this.

Can the card do it? No. But it's possible via other machine room tools.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 17, 2013 at 9:39:06 am

If the VTR you are talking about has RS-422 (the XDCAM Station has), I think is feasible with a simple RS-422 splitter.
Is the same way that Shane is saying about editing to HDCAm and Digibeta.
rafael

Return to posts index

Kevin Han
on Oct 22, 2013 at 9:15:04 am

Thank you for your reply, Shane.

Could you give me some more details of you mentioned "other machine room tools"?
The way it works should be able to insert the part of a FCP sequence into both recorders.
For example, 2 seconds of FCP sequence insert to both VCR & XDCAM STATION, timecode from 00:01:00 to 00:03:00.

Kevin Han at KBS

Return to posts index

Larry Asbell
on Nov 13, 2013 at 12:30:06 am

If making two recordings (without roll-back and punch in) is what you want, then run TC out from the controlled deck to the 2nd deck. Set the 2nd deck to take external TC, route V and A to the deck, and crash it into record manually.

However it sounds you are wanting to do short punch-ins, for example to redo a super? Sorry, there is no way to control two VTRs from a single controller. RS-422 machine control is 2-way communication. During edit preroll, the controller is reading tape TC and triggering start of record accordingly. Forget about doing this with a "splitter."

Linear tape editing systems, i.e. CMX, Grass Vally, Axial, etc., had dual record capability but I don't believe that ability has been included into a product for 10 years or more. I suppose you could resurrect one of these systems and put it to controlling this process. However your non-linear editor would have to be controllable as an edit system source machine. I don't think FCP was ever made to do this, though Avid has that feature.

Sorry but you may have to settle for inserting one VTR at a time.

- Larry Asbell

Return to posts index

Kevin Han
on Nov 13, 2013 at 10:21:34 am

Thank you for you reply.

I reached the same conclusion that it can control two recoders at the same time as it is two-way communication. I asked one of my co-workers who has managed Axial's for 15 years, and he said it is impossible for a card having one RS-422 to do it.

I appreciate your advice.

Kevin Han at KBS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]