FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting 23.978 FPS to 25 FPS

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Checkley
Converting 23.978 FPS to 25 FPS
on Sep 28, 2013 at 7:27:06 am

Hi there! I have what seems to be a fairly common problem without a fairly common solution.

- I am working with a number of video interviews (with audio) which will be intercut with various other footage (without audio).

- Some of the interview footage was shot at 23.976 FPS, while the majority was shot at 25 FPS, All the footage is Apple Prores 422, 1920 x 1080. I want it all in the same frame rate before I commence editing and end up with a big problem later down the track.

- If I convert the 23.976 footage to 25 FPS, I of course end up with a duplicate frame every 24th frame, which makes the video jolty and unnatural. I have learned that I can conform the 23.967 clips to 25 with cinema tools, which speeds up the clip by 4 %, thus making the audio sound noticeably fast and higher pitched. Not a great solution for video with audio.

- I can conform the 25 FPS footage to 23.976 which slows the footage and audio by 4 %, giving in my opinion better results, however, still not fantastic

- I am really at a loss here, I've read dozens of forums, and seem to be getting more and more confused the more I learn about frame rates! Maybe a program like 'nattress standards conversion' will work?

I would greatly appreciate any information or advice you all could offer me.

Thanks so much in advance,

Joel

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Converting 23.978 FPS to 25 FPS
on Sep 29, 2013 at 2:34:28 pm

[Joel Checkley] "I can conform the 25 FPS footage to 23.976 which slows the footage and audio by 4 %, giving in my opinion better results, however, still not fantastic"
No fantastic?
Conforming, you get the same original video just played at a different speed, so in terms of picture quality you can't make no objection.
Is to you to tell if the difference in audio speed is noticeable or not.
If no noticeable, conforming is your best option.
rafael

Return to posts index

Keith Slavin
Re: Converting 23.978 FPS to 25 FPS
on Sep 29, 2013 at 7:03:38 pm

Hi Joel,

If you do not want to distort audio in any way, the best option is to use a high quality frame-rate conversion tool to convert your footage to one common frame-rate. It is best to choose a frame-rate that is your final deliverable frame-rate.

We offer high quality standards conversion/transcoding services http://isovideo.com/services.php, based on our Game-Changer Award-winning Viarte server. If you are interested in trying out our service, you could send email to keith@isovideo.com. We could run a quick test and see if it works for you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]