FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression Failed! Confused and Frustrated :(

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Meghan Tenenbaum
Compression Failed! Confused and Frustrated :(
on Sep 8, 2013 at 12:55:12 am

Hey Creative Cows!

I just started using Final Cut 7 and am trying to teach myself the basics with the help of a friend who lives far away. We are both stumped by a "Failed" error that suddenly showed up after I compressed about 13 videos from the same camera, same settings etc. It will compress for about 3 seconds and then give me the "failed" message because FC generated an error or unexpectedly quit. "Generated an error" is so vague and it's frustrating me so much! I tried closing Compressor and starting it back up, to no avail.

Why is it refusing to work all of the sudden? Thanks for any and all advice guys!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Compression Failed! Confused and Frustrated :(
on Sep 8, 2013 at 3:44:04 am

Hi Meghan,
Vague is your post.
You do not explain nothing on your system, workflow, settings, footage, sequence contents..
Difficult to guess what's going on there.
rafael

Return to posts index

Meghan Tenenbaum
on Sep 8, 2013 at 4:32:40 am

Hi Rafael,

I apologize for not including this information. I was actually hesitant to post on these boards because I know nothing of the information you have requested. I have no idea how to provide these specifics for you. Perhaps it is a sign that I should not be using Final Cut, but iMovie...or to at least take a class to learn more about Final Cut.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 12, 2013 at 3:47:02 pm

I'm going to put on my psychic reader fez and take a guess that, since you DID have successful compressions before and suddenly can't... that the drive you're using may be low on space. Try trashing all the old un-needed files and emptying the trash, then try your project again.

The proper setup for editing with FCP7 is to keep the editing software on the system drive, and all the audio/video files and renders on an external or secondary "scratch disk". If you keep all the files on the same drive, you will fill it up quickly and see eprformance slow until you can do nothing but crash.

You assign the scratch drive location in user preferences, I believe.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]