FORUMS: list search recent posts

GRADING QUERY FCP7 - Is there a way to make a cloudy day look sunny?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zoe Westley
GRADING QUERY FCP7 - Is there a way to make a cloudy day look sunny?
on Aug 23, 2013 at 4:17:27 pm

Hi everyone

I am currently editing a project in FCP7 and we have a wonderful scene that was shot over two days. One day was very sunny, the other day was unfortunately cloudy, and there is no way we can re-shoot it. Does anyone have any tricks on how i can grade the cloudy footage to make it look brighter and sunnier?

I also have magic bullets, i just haven't used it at all yet

Any suggestions very welcome

thank you

Zoe

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: GRADING QUERY FCP7 - Is there a way to make a cloudy day look sunny?
on Aug 23, 2013 at 8:26:53 pm

Not really, no. Sunny days cause harsher shadows. Shadows on the face, on the ground...all over. They stand out. Clouds are big diffusers, they soften the lighting. You cannot adjust lighting in post with something like FCP, or even Color. You'll need higher end software to emulate this. I've seen it done on a FLAME...but even then, it looked wonky.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Zoe Westley
on Aug 23, 2013 at 8:51:22 pm

Hi Shane

Thats what i thought might be the case, hmm, i'm not sure what to do as the acting is superb, its just the cloud really ruins it.

thanks

Zoe

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 27, 2013 at 3:03:20 am

First do a sky replacement, tracking the footage and painting out or keying out/matting out the overcast sky in any shots that show sky.

Second, you can match the colors from the sunny day, but you're going to have to create shadow detail that wasn't there under the flatter overcast lighting. Since you're desperate and have no other options, shy not try combining several tracks of the video using a mix of blend modes and opacity setting, combining a track where the blacks are all crushed, with tracks that have a wider dynamic range. See if this gets you closer. Then flatten the shading in the sunlit shots and see if you can make the two days "meet somewhere int he middle".

This is never going to be perfect, you an only hope it will be somewhat "better", and 'acceptable".

Return to posts index

Zoe Westley
on Oct 8, 2013 at 4:21:27 pm

Hey Mark

thanks for your reply, we are just signing off the cut and then we are going to try your idea. Fingers crossed it works, but thanks for the advice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]