FORUMS: list search recent posts

Setting up an amateur edit bay

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Heather Dietz
Setting up an amateur edit bay
on Aug 14, 2013 at 3:49:48 pm

Hello friendly editors!

I have been editing short videos for my company for about a year, and it looks like I am losing my editing bay access (the company I've been 'borrowing' the bay from now needs to rent it out).

I am looking to set up a workable system at home, running off my 2009 MacBook Pro. I know that I will need to purchase FCPX and an external drive, do you have any suggestions on the best, affordable setup?

Thank you so much!
Heather

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Setting up an amateur edit bay
on Aug 14, 2013 at 6:50:14 pm

Depends on what your final product is and who it's for.

Return to posts index

Heather Dietz
on Aug 15, 2013 at 3:35:36 pm

The final product would be films less than 15 minutes in length, incorporating interview footage, B-roll, animations and some graphics. The audience will be internal employees, viewing the videos off of vimeo or youtube. Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 15, 2013 at 8:47:14 pm

Well, that doesn't sound too demanding, so on the inexpensive side I'd say, a RAID with drive running at least 7200 RPM, stay with hard disks and wait until SSD's come down in price and up in reliability some more. I've heard horror stories from friends who have had SSD drives failing in only a year's worth of use.

I don't know what interfaces your macbook can take advantage of, but everything today is trending to Thunderbolt, so a thunderbolt-based RAID and any adapter needed to interface with the fastest port on your macbook would be my starting point. This way when you eventually upgrade the old macbook, the drive is still useful with the new gear.

Get the biggest RAID you can afford because there is no such thing as having too much storage. Particularly when one big project is still hung up, waiting on approvals, but you need to start the next big one.

If you were doing stuff for broadcast, the suggestions would be different and there would be more stuff involved like external monitors and the like. FCPX is designed around a 64 bit processor so older macs won't see a performance boost like a new one will.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]