FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7, X and batch digitizing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Newton
FCP 7, X and batch digitizing
on Jul 25, 2013 at 7:57:39 pm

I have a considerable amount of HDV footage on tape, that I would like to access for certain projects, but not necessarily store as video files on disk. If I want the option of erasing the video files on computer at project end, and batch re-digitizing if I need access again in the future, what is the best work flow to take advantage of FCPX's features as editing tool:
1) Logging and capturing in FCP7, importing to FCPX for the edit, then batch re-digitizing in FCP7 and re-linking to FCPX if I have future needs.
2) Ingesting and edit in FCPX, and somehow convert to FCP7 and batch re-digitize if the footage is needed again after erasing the computer stored clips.
3) Easiest, reasonably cost effective solution is simply storing video clips on hard drive. If so how best to manage assets to reduce to only those needed to archive a project (and not all the event/source files?
4) Some other solution...

A related question:
If I want to ingest several hours of stock footage from HDV, and cull that down to selected and ranged/trimmed takes to create a stock library of the best moments of the best takes only (say as ProRes422 files), what is the best workflow with FCP7 and/or FCPX aimed at creating a lean, mean set of stock files?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: FCP 7, X and batch digitizing
on Jul 25, 2013 at 9:25:41 pm

If I remember this right, Walter Biscardi still keeps an FCP7 workstation around, just for ingesting tapes in the way you're describing. I would look at a dedicated, used machine for the same thing.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP 7, X and batch digitizing
on Jul 25, 2013 at 11:46:31 pm

I thought that FCX still captured DV and HDV. As long as it was firewire, FCX captured from tape. Am I wrong?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]