FORUMS: list search recent posts

Create Proxy files to edit

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bernhard Walzl
Create Proxy files to edit
on Jul 17, 2013 at 3:54:03 am

Hello!

I have to edit about 3 TB of footage which is recorded in AVCHD into .MTS files.

I can not convert all files into prores to edit them as I have not enough disk space and it would take too long too.

So I thought of converting all the .MTS files into smaller proxy files (like 240*135 pixel) and edit with them. Then, at the end I want to replace them with the high quality footage.

What do you guys think, what would be the best way to do this (using FCP)?

Thanks,
Bernhard

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Create Proxy files to edit
on Jul 17, 2013 at 6:16:31 pm

Offline/Online workflow using FCP 7:

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless_online/1

Unfortunately the lowest you can go is ProRes Proxy. It'd be nice if you could do Offline RT, but alas.

Exporting with third party options means this way of onlining won't work. It all needs to be done in FCP in order for it to link properly.

Man...3TB of AVCHD COMPRESSED MEDIA...that's a LOT. ProRes Proxy will triple that size. Sorry, but that is the best FCP can do for offline/online.

Might want to look into Premiere Pro CC. It'll deal with the footage natively, no converting.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bernhard Walzl
Re: Create Proxy files to edit
on Jul 30, 2013 at 2:30:07 am

Hi there!
I installed a quicktime plugin to make .mst work unfer FCP.

Luckily it is just an assembly of (many, many) files and not an actual edit.

So now I want to export the films (each has a runtime of about 2 hours).

When I want to export in h.264 on my old mac book pro (late 2008) it will take a loong while (I guess about 24 hours).

Is there any export option in FCP to not encode the film again but rewrap it into a h264 as AVCHD is basically already a H264 codec? Would this speed the process up?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]