FORUMS: list search recent posts

Combining DVCPRO and Apple ProRes in FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laura Maragoudaki
Combining DVCPRO and Apple ProRes in FCP7
on Jul 12, 2013 at 11:01:04 am

Hi there,

I am trying to work out the best workflow for editing a short doc on FCP7, that combines footage shot on two different cameras- a Panasonic P2 and a Sony HDV- V1 using the progressive mode.

FCP7 automatically imports all footage from the P2 as DVCPRO HD 720p (using 'Log + Transfer').
Following advice from another forum (http://www.kenstone.net/discussions/read.php?3,4765), I am importing tapes from the V1 using the Apple proRes 422 codec.

My questions are:

1. Which version of the proRes 422 codec is best for the HDV 1080 p25scan mode of the Sony V1? I am currently importing using Apple Pro Res 422 1440x1080 25p, footage looks fine on computer monitor but considering the P2 is 720p, should I be importing V1 footage as 1280x720?

2. Can DVCPRO + Apple Pro Res footage be combined directly on a timeline?

3. If so, what are the correct sequence settings for this timeline?

4. If not, how do I prepare the footage so that it can be combined in the edit?

Some first tests combining DVCPRO and ProRes, on an Apple ProRes 422 timeline seem to work OK as a QT export, but any advice on how to design a reliable workflow for this would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
Re: Combining DVCPRO and Apple ProRes in FCP7
on Jul 12, 2013 at 3:26:36 pm

1. No, bring it over as you are. FCP7 will scale it down to 720.

2. As you found, you can put a DVCPROHD clip into a ProRes timeline without having to render

3. This depends. What is most of your footage shot in?? A ProRes 720P sequence should work out for you.

Return to posts index

Laura Maragoudaki
on Jul 13, 2013 at 8:03:54 am

Thanks for that.
Most footage is DVCPRO HD 720p. It looks fine on the pro Res timeline as you said, just wondering if there will be any hidden hiccups at the export stage. I will run a few tests exporting with proRes codec to see what happens.
Any prior advice for things to look out for is much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on Jul 16, 2013 at 5:28:13 pm

Um not that I'm aware of or can think of. DVCPRO HD and ProRes both play nicely with FCP. I personally prefer to render before I export but I don't think it matters either way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]