FORUMS: list search recent posts

Big black marks after rendering DNxHD Codec after using some effects, using Eos Mark III footage on FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amanda Homsson
Big black marks after rendering DNxHD Codec after using some effects, using Eos Mark III footage on FCP7
on Jul 10, 2013 at 9:16:10 am

Dear All,

I hope you can help me. Working on an IMac (Mac OSx v 10.6.3) with FCP 7. It's the first time that I am using footage shot with Canon EOS Mark III. I did not expect this to be such a problem as it was almost impossible to edit with the footage, as I kept on getting the beach ball and then it would crash. Finally fixed the problem by downloading the DnxHD Codec and was able to do a rough edit on a compressed timeline to make the job faster and show a rough cut to the client.

Now I am trying to cut an HD version, where I'm using the same footage with matched timeline settings and when I don't do anything and render it, it looks fine. The minute I use an effect (e.g colour correction or a simple crop) and render, I literally get big black blotches or marks all over the image. Any advise on where I should look to fix the problem?

Many thanks in advance!

Amanda

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Big black marks after rendering DNxHD Codec after using some effects, using Eos Mark III footage on FCP7
on Jul 11, 2013 at 7:33:47 pm

Hi Amanda,

I think a lot of the problems are likely caused by the codecs that you are using. It sounds like you were trying to edit using the H264 files directly from the Canon initially and then again after the DnxHD files. If so this is going to give you all kinds of issues and errors. FCP works best with ProRes. You could use the ProRes 422 option. You can use the LT version if speed or drive space is an issue. You don't need HQ or 4444. DnxHD is the favoured format used by Avid. FCP can edit this format however again ProRes is the way to go.
Do a little test, transcode a couple of files to ProRes and just try a quick crop and colour correction - you should find that you have no problems.
I am only suggesting a test just in case something else it at play here but I suspect all will be fine.
You can download the Canon EOS Movie Plug-in V1.4 from the 5DMkIII page of the Canon site. Look under Downloads and software. You will see it in the list.
This enables the log and transfer tool in FCP to transcode the files to ProRes. A quick word of caution if you have not used this tool before. When transcoding leave the computer alone. Go make coffee read the paper anything. As if you try to do anything else the clips tend to get truncated. Apologies if you know this but if not its a gotcha.
Hope that all makes sense and works.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

8 Core MacPro, Kona 3, Tangent Wave, Mackie Universal Symphony 6.5 FCP7
i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini Symphony 6.5 FCP7

Return to posts index

Amanda Homsson
Re: Big black marks after rendering DNxHD Codec after using some effects, using Eos Mark III footage on FCP7
on Jul 12, 2013 at 9:42:57 pm

Hi Neil! Thank you very much for your detailed message! Well spotted and I managed to convert all my files with Compressor to Apple ProRes LT and it worked! When I added effects and rendered it was absolutely fine! So a big thanks for the other tips as well (Eg where to download the Plug in). Thanks again for everything!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]