FORUMS: list search recent posts

Spinning Ball of Death a mystery

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maria Gargiulo
Spinning Ball of Death a mystery
on Jun 27, 2013 at 6:36:37 pm

Spinning Ball of Death. OK I know we've all experienced it but having spent a week unsuccessfully trying to figure out how to vanquish it from my current project, I am now officially in MacHell . Working in FCP 6, it began when I tried to add subtitles onto a 2nd video track. Other factors: I have many hour of material on 3 hard drives (a total of 12 TB) . I still have a fair amount of room on the last drive. My project file is 165 mb which I know is large but I have another project that is 245 mb and I have never had this issue with that project. I have not even done any substantial editing on this new project except to cut tow 5-minute trailers. I upgraded my RAM to 12 but later was told FCP can only utilize 2 anyway. Most recently, I did a test of hooking the drives up to a 2nd system. Again, I experienced the spinning ball. It was taking about 5 minutes for it to go away before I could resume work. By the way, I was not trying to do subtitles. My sequence settings are : Frame rate 1920x1080 HDTVi (16:9) and 23.98 frame rate. The Quick Time Video settings are compressor: Apple ProRes 422 and the Quality is set at 100%. I do have footage that has been shot at different frame rates. Any ideas on how to get out of MacHell?

M.Gargiulo

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Spinning Ball of Death a mystery
on Jun 28, 2013 at 3:00:46 pm

[Maria Gargiulo] " Working in FCP 6"
Which version?
Some of the versions, (at least 6.0, 6.1 and 6.3, that I can remember) were full of bugs.
Aside the FC version you are using, think that a badly maintained Mac OS system will cause every kind of troubles.
Star by trashing FC preferences. Use this: http://www.digitalrebellion.com/prefman/
Repair your disc permissions, and if things do not improve, get your self DiskWarrior.
rafael

Return to posts index

Maria Gargiulo
on Jun 28, 2013 at 4:43:20 pm

Thanks! I am using FCP 6. However, I experienced the same issue when I hooked up my drives to another system that was using FCP 7.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 1, 2013 at 3:48:34 am

That sounds to a HD with messed up directories.
I recommend you running DiiskWarrior or TechTools.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]