FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sequence Settings Problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anton Fischer
Sequence Settings Problem
on Jun 15, 2013 at 1:20:36 pm

Hi,

I've recently filmed a dance show that I'm going to make a DVD out of. My problem right now is that the cameras that I used are new to me and I've never used them before. So the format that I got the files in is slightly different than what I'm used to.

The files, or clips, have the following settings (If i check under 'item properties' for example):
23,98 fps
1920 x 1080 Frame Size
Compressor: H.264

But the sequence (that I've inserted the clips into) has different settings:
25 fps
720 x 576 Frame Size
Compressor: DV - Pal

This of course makes the quality worse, and once a second there is a 'still frame' which makes it 'lagg' a bit. Now I want to change that so that the sequence can match my clip settings.

I tried to do the following: ctrl click on the sequence in the bin - Settings - Load Sequence Preset... - and then try out a couple of different presets there. I'm able to get the sequence to the right frame size, but not the right fps (or compressor, but if that is necessary I don't know).

I originally encountered this when I wanted to play the clips in the sequence unrendered (right now it just sais unrendered with a blue background) - and that should work, since I can play it straight from the bin in the preview with no problem.

So how do I get the sequence to match my clip settings? If I understood it correctly, that should also help me watch the clips unrendered in the timeline, but if not, is there a good solution out there for that as well? It takes too long to render everything before watching every edit (filmed the two shows with two cameras, and they are both an hour and fifteen minutes long). I'm using Final Cut Express.

I quite desperatly need help, hehe. So if I could get some advice it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Simon Modery
Re: Sequence Settings Problem
on Jun 16, 2013 at 9:41:53 am

You can't watch H.264 unrendered in FCP. The easiest solution is to use Compressor to transcode everything to Apple ProRes. And at the same time you can change the fps into 25.

So you export out of Compressor:
25 fps
1920 x 1080 Frame Size
Compressor: Apple ProRes

There is always a quality loss changing frame rates. Compressor is certainly not great at it, but better software is expensive and processing-intense. Since part of your footage is shot in DV-Pal I guess the quality Compressor can offer is enough for this project.

Head of Postproduction
Motherlode

http://www.simonmodery.com

Return to posts index

Anton Fischer
on Jun 17, 2013 at 4:55:05 pm

Thank you for your replies! I'm now in the process of converting my clips to Apple Intermediate Codec with MPEG Streamclip, which works great. When I import it into FCE I still don't know which Codec to choose from in the list. Right now this is what the list of Codecs to choose from looks like.

The majority of them are either low quality or 1080i, but I've shot in 1080p, which seems problematic. Now that I've converted them though maybe that changed but I'm not sure.

I did however deselect the interlaced scaling option when i converted it, not sure what that makes the clips now.

Any ideas on what Codec to use now? All my footage is shot in 1080p.

Return to posts index

Anton Fischer
on Jun 17, 2013 at 5:04:43 pm

Thank you for your replies! I'm now in the process of converting my clips to Apple Intermediate Codec with MPEG Streamclip, which works great. When I import it into FCE I still don't know which Codec to choose from in the list. Right now this is what the list of Codecs to choose from looks like (When choosing sequence settings).

The majority of them are either low quality or 1080i, but I've shot in 1080p, which seems problematic. Now that I've converted them though maybe that changed but I'm not sure.

I did however deselect the interlaced scaling option when i converted it, not sure what that makes the clips now.

Any ideas on what Codec to use now? All my footage is shot in 1080p.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 16, 2013 at 3:22:18 pm

Convert your H264 clips to Prores, then conform the clips to p25 with CinemaTools.
Edit on a prores PAL sequence. Select in the Sequence Presets.
rafael

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 18, 2013 at 1:48:36 am

[Anton Fischer] "Any ideas on what Codec to use now? All my footage is shot in 1080p.
"

1920x1080i60.
Interlaced footage needs to be de-interlaced to be edited as Progressive,
but Progressive footage can be managed as interlaced without problems.

[Anton Fischer] "I did however deselect the interlaced scaling option when i converted it, not sure what that makes the clips now."
OK,
You are not scaling anyway.
rafael

Return to posts index

Anton Fischer
on Jun 19, 2013 at 5:34:27 pm

Ok thank you! What about the fps? How do I best get rid of the little "lag" when the fps is wrong? Or can I simply convert it to 25 fps in MPEG Streamclip? Or can I install new codecs to my FCE so that my sequence can have 24 fps?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 20, 2013 at 3:23:15 am

FCE is very limited and you have only those options. Nothing you can do.

[Anton Fischer] "Ok thank you! What about the fps? How do I best get rid of the little "lag" when the fps is wrong? Or can I simply convert it to 25 fps in MPEG Streamclip?"
That's probably the best solution.
rafael

Return to posts index

Anton Fischer
on Jun 23, 2013 at 11:14:49 am

Ok thanks alot! Now I'm on a roll. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]